So this is what its all about

Rate this Entry
​I was invited to go deer stalking from a friend this weekend, he was going up on the Friday afternoon and staying until Sunday. I was to follow on the Saturday after I finished work. Yesterday I got in my house from work and practically ran around the house to get my rifle in the bag and ammo and moderator in my back pack. I haven't yet got a deer calibre rifle but when the lights go out the plan was to chase Charlie with my .223. I must of been ready in about five minutes flat. The car was already loaded with my camping gear and filled with fuel. The sun glasses were on as it was bright and the sun was warm through the glass of my window. Things were looking good so far. On the journey to the woodland block I saw rabbits, buzzards, roe, pheasant and lamas I was loving the journey.
I finally got the the RV point and was updated with his experience so far. He had seen two bucks and a doe friday night but no shots presented themselves. His plan was for us to sit against a wide tree an hour before in the spot he saw the couple the previous day hoping to intercept them (well the buck obviously) if they are in a daily routine. We sat there from 7pm until 9pm with the wind in our face. The noises from the woods were so peaceful but tense at the same time. Branches moving and wind blowing the leaves making you think there was something behind you.
Unfortunately the deer was a no show so we stalked around a wood into a meadow that has proven to be successful for him previously. It was a slow walk but again nothing presented itself.
We was back at camp for 9.40 and the sky was going darker by the minute so we hit the hay (my fat thumbs typed bit the gay on my iphone then, good job i noticed) with the alarm set for 1am.
After not enough sleep we got the foxing equipment together and set off on a farm not too far away from the stalking ground the he has permission on. We set up the electronic caller and lay on top on a large mound with the freezing cold wind in our faces. We managed to last an hour and a half before we called it a night. Another blank, my initial optimism was fading fast. But we wasn't to be deterred. It was back to camp with the alarm set for 4.30 am.
I learned from the time spent foxing and this time I put on a bigger jacket and face veil. I was handed the Tikka T3 in .243 a rifle I'm familiar with as that is the same as my .223 foxing rig. The magazine was filled and loaded but the rifle was chamber safe.
After a quick description of the route we was to take I was off in the lead following a ride to the top of a hill. The wind was blowing in the direction we was walking which was ok as we was heading for the top of the hill to follow the ride horizontally that way the winds perfect except for the chill. Again it was slow going and the grey was turning fast once we was at the top of the ride I hd expected to see roe grazing in the fields. We was hoping if there was deer there after their breakfast we could expect them to come towards the woods and onto the permission and we would intercept them there. Again no such joy. We was walking along the top of the ride checking down all the vertical rides. The land was like a grid of wood, ride, wood, ride. On the second vertical ride was stood a beautiful roe deer feeding like it hadn't a care in the world. My body language must of spelt out what I was viewing and my guide stopped. I couldn't tell if it was a doe or buck yet as the sun wasn't fully up and it had its ass to me. After glassing the beast I spotted he had antlers when he turned his head. I knew to look at his butt if he didn't offer me that display but we was satisfied he was a buck.
I started to get down in the prone position when he turned a stated at us. It was the most tense 30 seconds of my shooting career so far. I'm sure it could hear my heartbeat.
He relaxed eventually and carried on eating whilst I was half way down I had to get flat and get the s&b crosshairs on him but no shot presented itself where I wouldn't destroy all the meat. I watched him for around two minutes before he started moving towards me and to the woods on his right. Unfortunately for him he left me with a shot at a peculiar angle, but a shot none the less.

Breathing, check. Backstop, check. Guide is way behind the muzzle, check. Triggers taut, triggers pulled.

The deer lept in the air. All four feet left the ground and looked to bound into the woods. Bugger a miss. We was sure it didn't sound like a connection. I reloaded Asap and waited a few minutes to let things calm down. Safety's on before I forget to mention .
We walk slowly to where we thought the deer was standing to find no pins or blood anywhere. Great. We enter the entrance to the wood and I was surprised just how dark It was in there. About six feet from where the beast was originally stood lay an immobile roe buck on it side.
Relief, joy and a few other emotions came to the surface. I have got my first deer.
I checked for a reaction by touching its eye and was instructed to bleed the deer. After that was done we carried the deer to the campsite and I performed the gralloch under the instructions of my mentor.

I would like to thank my mentor at this point. So THANK YOU for showing me the ropes and for giving me such a great opportunity! I owe you one!

I can now say I'm a deer stalker (but not an author lol).

I hope my shocking attempts at literacy didn't make your eyes bleed too much chaps.

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags


  1. Ade8mm's Avatar
    Great report Sean. I enjoyed reading it. An author and a stalker.