What are the best sticks for Highland deer stalking ?

I use a handmade hazel shafted stick with a horn handle. Diameter is about 1" at the bottom, probably nearer 1.25" at the handle. Anything less than this tends to bend when you drag deer with it. The purpose built sticks for hill walking are better than nothing, but will bend eventually

I've just received a pair of 'split-sticks' from Robert at Monarch Country Products. Very impressed so far. Made to measure and is effectively one piece which means it is substantial enough to be used as an aid for getting on and off the hill. They can be seen in the Monarch website.

For what purpose? forget shooting sticks for Highland stalking you will be expected to shoot prone, a stout stick as in walking stick is beneficial on the hill as an aid to walking ,also a great help in dragging though if its a bought day the stalker or ghillie will do any dragging, though an offer of help is seldom refused./

I use a handmade hazel shafted stick with a horn handle. Diameter is about 1" at the bottom, probably nearer 1.25" at the handle. Anything less than this tends to bend when you drag deer with it. The purpose built sticks for hill walking are better than nothing, but will bend eventually
+1 although a bit slimmer with a bit of Fallow antler
I mate uses a handle off some long handled tool but it's a big lump to be dragging about.

Well you want a stout hazel stick to keep your balance
and act as your third leg when walking over rough terrain.
needs to be strong enough to support your weight
you don`t want it bending or snapping.
Most of your shooting will be prone,
hopefully resting on a nice tussock of grass or heather.

Back