Mauser M96

30-06hunter

Hi all

Ive seen a cheap Mauser M96 straight pull .243, aesthetically its good but told the bore is heavily pitted, the reason for the cheap price.

Can you re barrel a Mauser M96 and if so any rough idea of cost to do such a thing.

the gun its self is £180. so the cost of fixing it up could work in my favour?

Cheers

Just because it's pitted doesn't nesseeceraly mean it won't shoot , it could still shoot better than the operator

i think you need to try it before deciding whether it needs a debarrel

It says it can shoot, but for their sake they describe it as a ticket slot filler. its a bit far away to just go and test but if the cost of re barreling isn't crazy a punt on 180 isn't bad to just get it sent RFD

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 13.10.57.png

Last edited:
I always thought the '96 (1896) was the pistol that would fire fully auto. Wasn't the straight pull rifle the '66 as in 1966???

David.

I've seen plenty of rifles named Mauser M96 American.. if that makes a difference. but I've come across some 5 rifles named the same

The Mauser 96 was a straight pull rifle designed to compete with the Blaser. It didn't and Mauser went bust not long afterwards. A friend has one in .270. It's a nice rifle.

As has been said, it still might shoot fine but if not a rebarrel would be between £500-1000 depending on gunsmith, barrel make/profile, whether the gunsmith needs a new reamer/headspace gauges. It would depend on what cartridge you planned on it being in.

I always thought the '96 (1896) was the pistol that would fire fully auto. Wasn't the straight pull rifle the '66 as in 1966???

David.

If someone said to me Mauser 96 I would think of the pistol too or else the 1896 rifle made famous by the 6.5x55 round for the Swedish army. I've seen a few Mauser 66 straight pull rifles around and most of them were roughly mid 1970's era so I would have thought that they would be fairly conventional and the barrels would have been screwed in but I don't know for certain.
If they are screwed in you will be looking at around £650 as a minimum to have it re-barreled.

Have just been doing some web surfing on this mauser 96 and came up with a few things such as this:-

Now despite the name Roessler it seems to be the same as this Mauser M96. If this is the case then the bolt is multi lug and locks into the barrel.

A bit more surfing found some more on this Mauser M96 on these very forums.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/11033-Straight-Pull-Mauser-96

Interesting rifle it seems. Have not come across one of these before so will keep an eye out for them to have a better look.

Last edited:
Looks like thats down at Steve's (Ivythorn?) - if so give him a call - he will be straight with you - and it is definitely worth the drive to have and hour or three on the range :thumb:

Conure you are correct, the Titan 16 is a remake of the Mauser 96. My friends 96 has a blind magazine whereas the Titan 16 has a detachable box mag. They both have a 16 lug rotating bolt that locks into the barrel. The new Titan has a detachable barrel system.

Last edited:
The ar15 locks in to the receiver though and it looks like (though I have no idea) the M96 locks directly in to the back of the chamber in the barrel.

The ar15 locks in to the receiver though and it looks like (though I have no idea) the M96 locks directly in to the back of the chamber in the barrel.

Thanks Jim as I have never seen an M16 am not sure what the bolt head locks into. The difference of course is that the Mauser has two rows of lugs and not the single row of the M16 judging from the photos.

Back