Schmallenberg virus?

I was wondering about this. If it affects both sheep, goats and cattle, what might be the risks for deer?

None that I am aware of, but similar viruses in the group that Schmallenberg belongs to do affect deer. The only signs you will see would be deformed calves - twisted limbs or necks or permanently flexed limbs. So far it is only Norfolk to Essex that have had cases in sheep and calves. These will all have been infected in about September when the midges that carry the infection blew in from Netherlands/Germany (very similar to bluetonge). At this stage the ewes would be in early pregnancy. However, with the mild autumn and winter some of the midges might have survived a bit longer and might have infected some deer. I think it unlikely, but it would be worth cutting into the uterus to have a look. I've had some reports from Europe that suggest the numbers of cases are declining, which would suggest that it is during very early pregnancy that the damage occurs.

I recently had an update on this from a vet friend. It has also since featured on the local news. I think it will be difficult for us stalkers to identify in deer as it generally affects the unborn foetus in the third Trimester of pregnancy which is past the end of the cull season for Hinds and Does. The only chance we really have therefore is finding stillborns which is unlikely, Muntjac, or maybe a RTA victim?
Park deer will obviously be easier to monitor.
MS:-|

So how will it effect us as stalkers???

It wont!

If you were to shoot a deer that contained a deformed calf, notify it (although you are under no legal obligation to do so). If the deer was obviously sick and pyrexic don't eat it. Otherwise don't worry.

So how will it effect us as stalkers???

It wont!

If you were to shoot a deer that contained a deformed calf, notify it (although you are under no legal obligation to do so). If the deer was obviously sick and pyrexic don't eat it. Otherwise don't worry.

I heard the end of a discussion on the J Vine show on radio 2 this lunchtime and a guy phoned in and claimed 2 people from Germany had died from this, thats all l know, may well be able to find it on catch up somewhere.

Back