Fences - they do stop bullets.

mel

I was out this morning and the only thing between me, and the 7 Red hinds was this sodding fence. Not a difficult thing to shoot across but..........

IMG_0373.jpg

..... it might as well have been the Great Wall of China, it's the boundary between where I can shoot and where I can't. I was sat there for about 20 minutes waiting for one of them to leap over, but no, they chose to point their arses in my direction before they moved off in the general way they came. They may as well have stuck two hooves up at me :(

But on a positive note, I was out last evening somewhere else and had a Roe Buck come right up to see what I was (the ebay flektarn seems to work at close range) - and he's in season from tomorrow. Hooray! :D

Mel

I've still only ever managed one stalk (cheers Steve) and this was exactly the problem we had. Still not managed to grass a deer. :doh:

I've still only ever managed one stalk (cheers Steve) and this was exactly the problem we had. Still not managed to grass a deer. :doh:

Don't worry mate. Took me a good while to get my first out on my own and i'm going through a barren patch at the moment - but thats the sport, if you got one everytime there'd be no challenge - stick with it and good luck

Scrun

The buck probably couldn't work out what could possibly smell like that!!

I suppose the fox that came round behind me, and got the shock of it's life too, also had a bad smell in it's nose. I'll get the video over to you, it's a combination of small pocket camera and iphone footage and was taken in the top of the field where you shot that roe deer. There's two does and a buck hanging around together and there is another buck a bit further over in the other wood.

Had the same seemingly all summer last year. I grassed three bucks within twenty four hours at the end of last May. I went out numerous times thereafter and the only buck I saw was on the other side of the boundary, I saw him twice. He came up to the gate to investigate a fox and then turned back. He grazed ten yards out into the forbidden field but didn't cross the line. Everytime I thought he was coming my way he turned and walked away. Bloody frustrating!

I was out this morning and the only thing between me, and the 7 Red hinds was this sodding fence. Not a difficult thing to shoot across but..........

View attachment 14144

Mel

YOU WOULD SHOOT RED HINDS @ 31 mARCH??????/
WTF ????
I AM ON THE WRONG FORUM.

I used to cull deer but this is work not deer stalking, and not to be condoned

WTF ????
I AM ON THE WRONG FORUM.

Is 31st March not the last open day of the season in England then ???

Am I mistaken ??

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

WTF ????
I AM ON THE WRONG FORUM.

Slow down, I'm South of Hadrians Wall ;)

I think the point cyw308 is making is that the Hinds will be pregnant and its one thing to stalk deer for pleasure and another to cull them

From a moral point of view the land owner just wants them off the land as they are damaging the banks, fences etc.

From my moral point of view I would have only taken the very young in the group who would be unlikely to be carrying in their first year. The group did have a range of ages in there, it was interesting just to sit and watch the behaviour between the deer in the group. The lead hind was very dominant in her ways and several times raised up and was 'boxing' with one of the younger hinds (who did seem not to be behaving in a becoming manner). As it turned out it was a pleasure just to watch them so wasn't a loss of a day in any way. Hopefully I will get up there again in the coming weeks armed with the camera - as the land owner has said, he doesn't mind if I shoot them or just scare them away with my presence, it's the same result for him.

But at the end of the day the moral discussion is irrelevant as they didn't cross the boundary and they all lived happily for another closed season :)

From a moral point of view the land owner just wants them off the land as they are damaging the banks, fences etc.

From my moral point of view I would have only taken the very young in the group who would be unlikely to be carrying in their first year. The group did have a range of ages in there, it was interesting just to sit and watch the behaviour between the deer in the group. The lead hind was very dominant in her ways and several times raised up and was 'boxing' with one of the younger hinds (who did seem not to be behaving in a becoming manner). As it turned out it was a pleasure just to watch them so wasn't a loss of a day in any way. Hopefully I will get up there again in the coming weeks armed with the camera - as the land owner has said, he doesn't mind if I shoot them or just scare them away with my presence, it's the same result for him.

But at the end of the day the moral discussion is irrelevant as they didn't cross the boundary and they all lived happily for another closed season :)

Nice one Mel

CWY308 before taking the moral high ground with our English cousins it is worth pointing out that we could legally be shooting Roe Does in Scotland up till 31 March and they can be just as pregnant.

The same hind would have been pregnant if you'd shot it two months ago. Would that have been immoral too?

Back