Blaser Storage.

cjs66

Right then folks.

I store my R8 in the locker with the trigger mech/ magazine removed and stored separate but with the bolt in place. This is because i have a AIM cheek piece on the stock that must be removed to remove the bolt. Which is a pain.. How do you think my FEO would see this..
Surely it'll be ok as the gun is just as useless without the trigger as it is without the bolt?

I know I've left myself wide open there to all the Blaser haters… ;)

Just a thought.
cjs

Definitely worth checking out.
I would think that as it would require a FAC to buy a bolt, I would think that that is the component to be stored separately. I don't think you need an FAC to buy a trigger unit.
I have a Blaser R8 and store my bolt separately.

If it was a lever action you couldn't remove it, if it can easily be removed then do it, if not why worry, I know plenty of folk who keep bolt in rifle at all times just so they don't get them muddled up or forgotten when going out stalking..... Does it say on your license that bolt and ammo must be stored separatly, if not, don't panic...

Removing the trigger mechanism and magazine sounds like "reasonable precaution" to me. It's unusable in that state, so you could "reasonably" claim that it ticks that box.

These layers of security really annoy me. It is bordering on paranoia.

The only secure thing is not to have a gun in the first place.

Even if you dismantle the gun to the last nut and bolt and store every part of the mechanism in a separate safe, the only burglar you are protecting it from is the one who does not have the time to deal with each delay. You only need one burglar to have the time, and they collect a complete gun….

What scenario is any more "reasonable" than keeping your entire gun under lock and key in one cabinet?

If you put everything into a number of safes, I think you are "unreasonably" adding to your inconvenience of accessing the gun every time you take it out. And those hours of wasted time and effort are expended purely in order to possibly delay a burglar by a few more minutes, on the off chance that you are burgled, and the even remoter chance that he is interested in guns in a locked cabinet and not your telly which just need unplugging.

Alan

On the other hand....
if you have a rifle you must also have a separate safe for the ammo. Therefore 2 separate secure locations which you would be accessing in order to go out shooting. If a part of your rifle is readily removable, why not remove it and store it with the ammo? It would surely be more secure that way.
just my thoughts though, everyone must do,as they feel appropriate.

My R8 stays in the cabinet with the bolt on, the trigger unit separate, with the ammo. I think is reasonable enough.

there is no law that says the bolt must be stored separately... only ammunition... I have my rifle in cabinet, bolt in locked top box and trigger in another safe but only because I can.. not because I have to!!

On the other hand....
if you have a rifle you must also have a separate safe for the ammo. Therefore 2 separate secure locations which you would be accessing in order to go out shooting. If a part of your rifle is readily removable, why not remove it and store it with the ammo? It would surely be more secure that way.
just my thoughts though, everyone must do,as they feel appropriate.

I don't disagree that it will take longer for a burglar to break into two separate containers. I think my beef is with the notion of "more secure". I equate it with the idea of "over-kill". The adjective weakens.
Secure is fine. Kill is enough.

My point is that once you start, there is no end to "more secure".

"Reasonably secure" is in a locked cabinet, inside your locked house.

As we all know, nothing can withstand a determined thief. The best we can do is delay or deter the casual opportunist.

Alan

Last edited:
This one looks just the part - and a snip at just £199.99 for all you bling blingers - just drop me a PM and your bank account details.........

image.jpeg

I keep all my guns, fully assembled, in my secure gun cabinet, locked and bolted to wall and floor; all my rifle ammunition in my secure ammo safe, locked and bolted to wall and floor; and shotgun cartridges apparently in six different places all over the house and in the vehicle.

I agree that keeping different components in separate locked, bolted-down safes is overkill.

When travelling I separate the trigger mechanism rather than the bolt as it's marginally easier.

Back