Stiff bolt with factory ammo

mjd237

Hi all i bought some ppu in .243 and when i try to load a round the bolt is seriously stiff,however the rifle in question is a CZ550 which has had very little use so in general everything is in good order but i have only used reloads with this rifle and found that i had to bump back the shoulders quite abit so once i make a round it shoots just fine.
Now i thought i would try factory rounds and hence the stiff bolt i have cleaned the bolt face,lugs and chamber and still no difference so would i be right in thinking i have tight chamber?

I had the same issue with my Tikka T3 with PPU 90s in .243

They still shot well but the bolt is nowhere as near as tight as with other factory rounds. Not sure why they were tight but since have moved onto Hornaday as they were more accurate and the bolt is a lot smoother and easier to close.

Just compared it with two hornady vmax and two remington rounds and no issues bolt smooth as on looking at the rounds its appears that the shoulders on the ppu are thicker so i think i have that nailed now thanks for replying guys.

I have had the same problem with .243 PPU ammunition in my CZ550. It doesn't happen with other types of ammunition (and didn't when I first tried PPU some years ago), so I assume it's something to do with overall dimensions of the completed round i.e. it's a tad big somewhere....

2p worth.

Some time ago i met a chap who had a new unfired howa. HE had the thing same with PPU stiff as old boots to the point it would close without overdoing it but with sako ammo like glass so was RG FMJ .

I thought i just had a tight chamber in a M595 but a friend has the same problem in the T3 both in .243 and PPU

I had the same issue with my Tikka T3 with PPU 90s in .243

They still shot well but the bolt is nowhere as near as tight as with other factory rounds. Not sure why they were tight but since have moved onto Hornaday as they were more accurate and the bolt is a lot smoother and easier to close.
+ 1 but moved onto Remington Corelokt

Back