Quad cost to make road legal.

RED-DOT

We have a Honda Foreman that crosses a public road on our shoot estate now and again and the H&S gestapo in the syndicate wants to make it road legal. Lights, number plates etc.... How much can this be done for and anyone in Central Scotland up for it?

Have a peek here.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/overview

I guess the form you need is V55/5. I think you can buy indicator kits to put on most quads, there's likely a generic one too. I imagine it's already got lights and a horn. The registering process is £55. By the looks of things you need to supply some documents to prove you are who you say you are, you know, passport, driving licence, a kidney, etc. You'll also need the cost of the road tax (unless registering it agriculturally).

However, as this is basically an administrative task, were I you, I'd suggest that the H&S gestapo that are so keen on this could perhaps be best placed to do it themselves.

and dont forget road insurance every year, sounds like a real pain in the ass to me, vote down the gestapo unless he wants to foot te bill

Have a peek here.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/overview

I guess the form you need is V55/5. I think you can buy indicator kits to put on most quads, there's likely a generic one too. I imagine it's already got lights and a horn. The registering process is £55. By the looks of things you need to supply some documents to prove you are who you say you are, you know, passport, driving licence, a kidney, etc. You'll also need the cost of the road tax (unless registering it agriculturally).

However, as this is basically an administrative task, were I you, I'd suggest that the H&S gestapo that are so keen on this could perhaps be best placed to do it themselves.

I've just been going through this myself, and it's not so easy now.
My form V55/5 was returned to me, together with my cheque for £55, because I hadn't included a letter from the original importer declaring that it was all genuine. This was in spite of providing details of engine number, chassis number, photos showing said numbers stamped on frame, etc etc.
Having bought the quad 2nd hand from someone else who'd bought it 2nd hand I've pretty much come to a dead end. Beginning to think best option would be to part-ex it for a new one that's already legal.
(Or just have to continue to travel with my fingers crossed...).

We have a Honda Foreman that crosses a public road on our shoot estate now and again and the H&S gestapo in the syndicate wants to make it road legal. Lights, number plates etc.... How much can this be done for and anyone in Central Scotland up for it?

Fraser Robb at Drymen should be able to sort it out for you.

Itis seemingly not that easy to register an older quad for the road, our honda dealer say's it's a nightmare, it was a major PITA doing it with a new 1 the first time too.

Do u actually need it to be road legal to cross a road? Are they also going to get u ur quad ticket and force u to wear a helmet?

Indicators may be a grey area, my quads have always had them fitted but my bro has had 2 quads with no idicators and still road legal from same dalership months after i've had 1 with them fitted.

Even new quads have to do a sort of MOT thing, only the once thou if on agri plates.

Finally the thing we found a real PITA is getting insurance for the first time (possibly as business use yet not farmers?) but u end up with a chicken/egg scenerio between trying to insure a quad for road use and no nuumber plate and cannae give u a number plate till u have insurance :banghead:

Like i said never had to do it but dealership says it can be a nightmare (and we've always bought new so not trying to drum up business)

It would probably be easier to chop the non-road legal quad in for one that is already agri registered?

I breifly looked into the cost of having a non-agri registered quad made road legal, the thing is, I believe you have to make it "road legal" and not "agri registered road legal" if that makes sense. The difference being you can drive a road legal quad as far as you like on the road, but an agri registered one you are only supposed to drive a max of a mile i think between areas of land you occupy for farming, forestry or equestrian (or something like that) and i believe its only for up to 20mph. I do believe, but stand to be corrected, it would be much cheaper to insure an agri registered quad rather than a road legal one.

This, along with all the paper work needed, it may just be easier to chop the old one in for a agri registered one. It might be cheaper too.

It then comes under sorn regs too? If you put it off the road, if your insurance lapses, etc you get done with automatic fines. Does it come under the 6 mile per year rule??? You are allowed to cross from one part of your property to another if it come under so much per year. Look at the unregistered vehicles crossing the road at west Calder with their own traffic lights. Explore first before registering.

Some companies will insure a motorbike on the chassis number(for a short while) prior to the supply of a registration number so you can get around the chicken and egg bit................ assuming of course a quad would be the same.

The letter from Honda etc. would be to prove the age otherwise DVLA used to send out "Q" plates. I'm not sure they still do this but you wouldn't want one anyway as they can make insurance more expensive (I think they assume its been modified).

You do not need lights if its for day light use only.
You will need to take the ATV to a VOSA centre so they can check the vin number and CE plate and to make sure its road legal, before you get it road registered and they give you a V5 for it, that's the easy bit then the grief starts. !!!

You may find it a lot easier to buy one that's already road registered.

Or get a trolley made up. Drive quad on trolley, push it across the road and drive quad off trolley. A trolley with 4 inflatable tyres should make short work of carrying a quad a few yards.

FR was ignorant to me at the BASC fair at Cardross... i asked the price of an Argo on his stand and he tutted and walked away.

FR was ignorant to me at the BASC fair at Cardross... i asked the price of an Argo on his stand and he tutted and walked away.

If you want an argo from a dealer up your way try maxtrac, you can do a deal with him :thumb: I've got a few down here and dealt with him before, he's sound.

Strange , never struck me as the type to pass up a potential sale, dealt a lot with him in the past, but by the past I mean about thirty years ago,maybe he has changed.

Back