How much do I need?

tonyt

Hi,
Am heading over to a basc range day (Bisley) on Sunday to zero rifle / get some good practice in, but have no idea how much actual range time these days involve, and how many rounds I might get through.

Any advice on how much to take / what you have gotten through in the past would be most helpful...

thanks
Tonyt

ps - anyone else from this forum doing this on Sunday?

Thanks, but have no ammo yet, thus the question (collecting first rifle this week)
Thought about taking a few boxes of different makes to see what works best but still no idea how many rounds people might get through...

100 rnds of smallbore and 50rnds of fullbore will be plenty for the day unless you want to go mad.

If its centre-fire, then the amount your certificate allows you to purchase at a time (and the cost!) are probably the controlling factors.

How much shooting have you done?

What is your physical fitness level?

Is your rifle a "kicker"?

Answers to these questions will focus the advice you receive.

PS - If you are a Blaser user, you will probably not put many rounds downrange. This is because all the other Blaser users will have .................................. (insert own reasons).

Yes, I'll be down there on Sunday.

I'm in the same position as you though, new rifle (to me), first ever rifle and a need to zero it. I'll be at a club though, so not sure how the whole NRA thing works. There is a range called "Zero Range" which I believe is for zeroing only. I am not sure if you can hire a range/lane without doing the induction course? Best to call them.

PM me if you want to meet up, my club will be doing an induction day in November, and there's no harm in popping in (leave rifle in car) to say hello. We have moving targets and stalking tests, ammo is 50p a pop and we can shoot expanding rounds - so worth a look.

Last edited:
am very much in the hands of the basc team as they have organised the range day. am taking my 243 & 308. 308 has new scope on it so need zeroing (on the zero range?), whereas the 243 is zeroed but previous owner was a reloader and so I don't know ammo this rifle likes. the plan is to put through some different makes of ammuntion to find out what works best for each

3 rounds to zero, and 3 more rounds to prove to yourself that your rifle is indeed zeroed. Than time for coffee and the paper and watch other people blow a lot of money away.

but previous owner was a reloader and so I don't know ammo this rifle likes. the plan is to put through some different makes of ammuntion to find out what works best for each
Can you not ask the previous owner what he shot thro it and found best - will at least give you a ball park ??

Same position here again. PO liked Accupoint 165gr I could only get Noslet 150gr. Pop down the shop get some Bisley basics and some Accupoints and compare.

What is the BASC day about? As a BASC member I wonder if I could pop in?

Last edited:
Tony, make sure you bore zero before you go (you can do this looking out of the backdoor, down the garden) it will save you time and ammunition. The zero range requires a zero target from the range office, this target is set up for .308 so is spot-on for you, but I think you may have to produce your safe shooter card when you pay for it.
Have fun, wrap up warm and take waterproofs, Bisley seems to have its own weather system!!

As Bomag says bore sight before you go so your scope shouldn't be way off, at least on the paper. BASC normally shoot on the range of the British Sporting Rifle Club so it is unlikely that you will have access to the "Zero Range". Zero Range is the actual name of a short range in another part of the camp a short distance away from the BSRC ranges, and as Bomag says you will need to jump through a few hoops to be able to use that one.
There is however provision normally at the BSRC to zero rifles simply ask for assistance from the range officers and BASC staff all are normally most willing to help.

BSRC does indeed have facility to zero. I think I'll stay out of the way though, I don't want to be seen as a nuisance until I understand how these things work.

Don't be shy Toxster as I'm sure that there will be others who are relatively new to the sport but are afraid to show it. My experience is that if you make the effort to mix others are only too willing to help a new guy along. After all that's really the purpose of the day and the guys at BASC and BSRC range officers are there to ensure that everyone enjoys themselves and gets something out of the day. Even if it is to get their rifle properly zeroed.

Tony, make sure you bore zero before you go (you can do this looking out of the backdoor, down the garden) it will save you time and ammunition. The zero range requires a zero target from the range office, this target is set up for .308 so is spot-on for you, but I think you may have to produce your safe shooter card when you pay for it.
Have fun, wrap up warm and take waterproofs, Bisley seems to have its own weather system!!

thanks, and given weather forecast in woking for sunday, there may well be some no shows...

Back