New .22!!!!Help!

TGEvans

Hi guys. Spoiling myself for my 30th this year. Looking to get a new .22lr. I shoot at a range and go out for the bunnies. I want something that would sit halfway between the two disciplines. The rifle that has caught my eye so far is the CZ 455 heavy barrel with the thumbhole stock and also the new CZ mini sniper that will be making its way to the UK in about July/August time. So the question is, will a 20 inch barrell be more accurate then the 16 inch? Up at the range I am hearing all sorts of arguements for and against both lengths. Weight is not an issue. Im a lump of a bloke and used to compete in weightlifting/strongman/Judo so the difference of a few pounds changes nothing. I want accuracy facts! Thanks in advance guys, Tim.

The CZ is not a bad choice for what you're after. It won't hold it's own against a match rifle but they are usually very accurate rifles. I really don't think you will notice any difference in accuracy with the shorter barrel assuming you'll be using a scope. Don't forget that with 6" of moderator on the end the 20" is getting long.

The Sako Finnfire or possibly a BSA Century might also fit the bill.

I can't see the barrel length will make the slightest difference. I would think a .22 lr cartridge, subsonic or HV, would complete a full burn well within 16 inches. By the time you've added a mod the shorter barrel would get my vote for the rabbits. My .22 and HMR are both 14". If I bought another HMR I would get a longer barrel because they shoot better off sticks. But for .22 lr ranges I'd go 16.

OPTIMUM bbl length for a 22 is about 16"

LOTS more bang for your buck too if you shop around & pick up a 2nd-hand item...I know a few shooters that had a 455 & sold it to go back to the 452

A 2nd-hand Anschutz would be a better choice than a new CZ

OPTIMUM bbl length for a 22 is about 16"

LOTS more bang for your buck too if you shop around & pick up a 2nd-hand item...I know a few shooters that had a 455 & sold it to go back to the 452

A 2nd-hand Anschutz would be a better choice than a new CZ

I don't think so... as long as we are talking the 452. CZ = Rugged rifles that shoot well and last lifetimes.~Muir

I use the 14" barrel Anschutz, and it is a hell of an accurate rifle,so I would not be concerned about the length issue.

Sako Finnfire all the way - cant believe no-one else has suggested one! Or you could pick yourself up a cheap target rifle and 'sporterise' it

I love the FinFire but they are rare as heck here. In honesty, I shot along side a FF Varmint last Sunday and my CZ 453 Varmint shot as well at all ranges out to 110 yards. I have several (!) Brno #1 rifles that will shoot with either of them, light barrel notwithstanding. I would like a Sako but the accuracy of the CZ's keeps me from looking too hard. Hard to beat the value.~Muir

I've had a few 22's and used to always end up back at the CZ/Brno - one I would say don't buy is a 10/22 unless you know of a good working one - I have eventually settled on my current 22LR which is a Winchester 94 Underlever - the reason I kept this one is I enjoy shooting it - I wouldn't say it's any less accurate than the CZ other than the fact you can keep the CZ in one position and function the bolt whereas with the Underlever you have to lift the rifle.

i enjoy shooting the Underlever rimfires that much I have two of them although my 22wmr is now for sale as it sees very little use.

regards,
​gixer

I've had a few 22's and used to always end up back at the CZ/Brno - one I would say don't buy is a 10/22 unless you know of a good working one - I have eventually settled on my current 22LR which is a Winchester 94 Underlever - the reason I kept this one is I enjoy shooting it - I wouldn't say it's any less accurate than the CZ other than the fact you can keep the CZ in one position and function the bolt whereas with the Underlever you have to lift the rifle.

i enjoy shooting the Underlever rimfires that much I have two of them although my 22wmr is now for sale as it sees very little use.

regards,
​gixer

Huh! I had a Winchester 94/22 and it was very accurate but no where near as accurate as my CZ. Winchester Super-X was it's top ammo and it was good for just under an inch at 50yards when scoped. Any of my Brno/CZ's will pile rounds at that distance. My current Marlin M39A is also very accurate. Half inch at 25M is pretty standard. For a guns with such a long striker-hammer fall, that's pretty commendable.~Muir

I've had two CZ455's both in 17HMR, both are ****e.

I also have a 20 year old 452, a far better rifle.

I would suggest you look for an Anschutz or a SH Finnfire.

Huh! I had a Winchester 94/22 and it was very accurate but no where near as accurate as my CZ. Winchester Super-X was it's top ammo and it was good for just under an inch at 50yards when scoped. Any of my Brno/CZ's will pile rounds at that distance. My current Marlin M39A is also very accurate. Half inch at 25M is pretty standard. For a guns with such a long striker-hammer fall, that's pretty commendable.~Muir

Different guns will shoot differently...had a friend with a brand new 452 that fired a round everytime you closed the bolt handle! Doesn't mean everyone will do it though...

regards,
​Gixer

How deep are your pockets? Anschutz 1710 or a Tony Kidd 10/22. I've got both and nothing comes close or quality or accuracy. Both will last a lifetime.

Out of production for a while

Last year I decided to build 22's for my 10 year old twins. Wanted somethig different that could become heirlooms. After about 6 months of searching I found two old Remington Number 4 rifles dating from about 1893, the barrels were shot/rusted out and basically non-fireable. The wood on both was not good but usable for the time being. I plan to replace the wood this year when I have the time....

Anyway, I rebarreled the actions with Green Mountain octagon barrels; 1 with a No. 2 contour and the other with a lighter tube. Because the only No 2 barrel available at the time was made for WMR I decided the chamber the rifle for that instead of hoping for good accuracy with 22LR, the lighter barreled action is chambered for the LR. The actions were polished and case colored, barrels reblued, new sights installed and a bit of work done on the stocks. The heavy barrel pretty much replicates the 50-70 I used to shoot the bison while the lighter gun replicates an original Remington Creedmoor rifle I have.No 4's.jpg

Back