243 licence

soother223

just had my licnce back! now i'd applied for a 243win but its come back with "243 calibre rifle" written on it, does this mean i could get either a 243win or a 243wssm? and if so what do you guys make ofthe wssm?

243 caliber rifle , thats what you wanted thats what you got , if its wssm win ack imp the caliber is still 243

that's great news for you, free to get whatever .243 you wish, but if you want access to factory ammo and a choice of 2nd hand rifles, go with the traditional .243Win.

Yes, any calibre that is nominally known as "243 XXX". So unfortunately you can't get a 6mm Remington even though it uses 243" bullets! Nor could you get a 240 Weatherby even though it too uses .243" bullets.

As to comparing 243 Winchester vs 243 WSSM I would say go with the widely available, easy to find and easy to sell 243 Winchester. You will have a choice from a Parker-Hale to a CZ-BRNO to a Remington to a Sako etc., etc.

In a conventional medium action rifle I really just can't see the point of the 243 WSSM when whatever advantage may give in a true SHORT ACTION isn't going to occur and at the expense of one less magazine capacity.

That said I also can't see what advantage the 243 Winchester offers over 6mm Remington in a true MAUSER action as used by Parker Hale.

I'd stick with the 243 Winchester. Quite simply so many people use it you will get recipes galore for loading (or dozens of factory ammunition variants) and dies etc cheaply from the UK or even from USA eBay.

just had my licnce back! now i'd applied for a 243win but its come back with "243 calibre rifle" written on it, does this mean i could get either a 243win or a 243wssm? and if so what do you guys make ofthe wssm?

It's just a shame that other FLO's cannot do this as after all it's what the forms say .............................. calibre not cartridge or chambering.

Back