6.5x55 or .308?

TotalNovice

I am currently writing out my renewal and wish to have a calibre for the bigger deer species and cannot decide between the 6.5x55 or the .308.

So what are your views on the two calibres?

Thanks

TotalNovice

I would say it would depend upon what your land is cleared for, if its up to .308 then go for that. My reason being ammo availability is much better. I have a 6.5x55 and struggle on consistant makes of ammo, whereas .308 appears to be everywhere.

If your land isn't cleared for .308 then go for the 6.5, it is a great round.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

6.5x55 gets the job done for me but as for all issues where there is an option the choice is down to you.
If you can try both calibres and see what suits you best.

Atb

Eddie

I am currently writing out my renewal and wish to have a calibre for the bigger deer species and cannot decide between the 6.5x55 or the .308.

So what are your views on the two calibres?

Thanks

TotalNovice

Currently Im using a 243. and will be in the same position at the end of the year (renewal), 308. gets my vote.

As there is'nt much differce between 243. (6mm) and the 6.5. so if you've got the ground, I would be giving

the 308. serious thaugth, but you will always get the odd runner whatever calibre you use. It'll just easier to

follow with a 308. hole in it!! :D

Atb, Buck.

If your land isn't cleared for .308 then go for the 6.5, it is a great round.

I'm really surprised that plod could clear land for 6.5 but not for .308 - what would be the thinking or justification behind it?

I'd agree to go with the .308 though.

i have both :D not shot 6.5 at quarry yet had the 308 first and really rate it ,going to give the 6.5 a try on thurs at some park deer ,i never really clicked with my last 243 it shot 75/80 gr ammo brill but 100 gr was shocking but it was a 20'' barrel one of the reasons for trying a 6.5, at paper so far so good proof will be thurs :)

i currently run a 6.5*55 and it stops red no problem with RWS 140grn dual core import bullets
my dad runs a .308 with 150grn RWS 150grn and it does the job aswell

i am away to change the 6.5*55 to a 6.5*47 the reason being i want something flatterand a wee bit faster

there is a bewildering ammount of calibres out there between the .260 and the .308
and the choice of a particlar calibre is a very personal one .

the first decission would be what bullet weight do you want to launch ?
then how long do you wish the barrel last (if its a custom build and calibre )

personally both are a great round out of the box
and ammo isnt really a problem if you stick with the likes of RWS or Norma.

if it were me and between 6.5*55 and the 308 it would be the 6.5 everytime
you get good knockdown power with next to no kick
nice wee round

steve

I'm really surprised that plod could clear land for 6.5 but not for .308 - what would be the thinking or justification behind it?

My understanding was the police cleared land for the largest calibre you ask for. The land I have listed on my ticket belongs to a farmer who only has a .22RF. When I asked for a couple of rimfires the land was already cleared, when I asked for bigger calibres they cleared the land for up to .308 as that's what I asked for. If I had asked for a .223 they would have cleared it up to that.

Why not ask for a slot for both the 6.5 and the .308? You have 5 years to buy and could always use the slot as a 1 for 1 for free.

What calibre do you have now?

.243ai, it has taken a few reds but I want something that will stop them quicker/easier. Also just fancy a different calibre too, to run along side the .243ai.

.243ai for my varminting, foxing and smaller deer and a 6.5x55 or .308 for the bigger species.

Thanks for the replies guy's, it has given me some food for thought.

If you have a 243 then a 308 would make a natural partner to that calibre, the 243 will shoot 55gn to 105gn bullets while the 308 will let you shoot from 125gn to 210gn bullets (depending on twist rates) this should cover all stuff in the UK and most stuff aboard.
Starting with the least powerful commonly available deer calibre and working up the 6.5X55 is only one step up from a 243 in terms of muzzle energy.

ATB

Tahr

If you already have the 243 AI, the 6.5 isn't much bigger (although bullet choice is vast and much heavier). HOWEVER, you are clearly used to a fast projectile, and I think you will be disappointed with the ballistic trajectory of the 6.5 with a heavy bullet and the also the .308 in comparison to your Ackley! They are both 'mortar rounds'!:rolleyes:
If you want something bigger and as fast as you are used to, you should consider the 30.06. Same bullet as a .308, but a lot quicker!;)
If you are going to run two rifles, it is good to have them ballistically similar so you get used to bullet drop.
I run a 25.06 and a 30.06 for the same reason.
MS

Hmmm if you want speed to be similar then I would suggest you look at the .270 Winchester then bigger than the 6.5, faster but fo course is a longer catridge and we all know how difficult than longer bolt throw is to learn :rolleyes:,.

However as ever my suggestion is find a rifle you like and which fits you and worry about the chambering afterwards.. Get the one that feels good and fits.

I run a 243WSSM, pretty similar performance as a 243AI, coupled with a 270 the bullet trajectories are almost identical depending on bullet weights, the 270 has a range of bullets between 90gn and 160gn so pretty much the same bullet range of the Swede, but as Brit says it pushes them a good bit quicker especially at the heavier bullet weights. The 30-06 would be another good cartridge to partner the 243.

ATB

Tahr

Personally I would go for the .308 or .30/06 options having had many calibres and cartridges over the last 50 stalking years.
With the vast availability of factory fodder and ingredients for the hand-loader that is the way to go.
Forget the long/short action bunkum as we are stalkers not rapid fire merchants. [ I was county rapid-fire champion at 300yds in the late 50s with a long-action P14 .303 rifle ! ]

HWH.

I have had and used both.
I have many clients who have 1 or the other.
Both great rounds.
No probs with either.
.308 IMO kicks a little harder.
Most places have ammo for both but I would suggest once you find 1 your gun likes go buy 200.
Its down to personal choice.
I would lean towards 6.5 but then I shoot mainly woodland/arable roe.
I now use almost all the time the 6.5 and wish I'd had one 20 years ago.
You won't be sorry which ever you get......BUT make sure you buy a sporter stay well clear of varmint barrels for stalking.

....BUT make sure you buy a sporter stay well clear of varmint barrels for stalking.[/QUOTE]

Im curious what makes you say to stay clear of the varmint barrels?

Back