advice on a new .243

poddle

I am about to buy a new 243, but need some more advice and info.
Being a traditionalist I want one with a wood stock, not plastic, or even laminate for that matter. I would also like a detachable mag, not the floor plate type. The Remy 700 does one model that fits this profile so far and I think so does Tikka T3 I think, has anyone got any other names for me to consider? if so please speak up and let me sift through them all.Pre screw cut would be nice but that maybe asking too much.
Start firing chaps!!!! :evil:

regards Poddle

New .243

Hello. Heym do some nice bolt actions, the SR21 I belive; Sako are always worth a look, I havent seen the new one but I have a 75 and it is excellent. Sauer and Steyr do some very nice traditional rifles. But a few names among many!

rifles

Remmies are ok and cheap at the minute as are rugers.

the cz is good,

howa are good,

weatherby are good.

tikka, sako, manlicker, mauser, merkel all are pretty good

hell take the one you like the look of, fits you best and they are all pretty good and cheap now.

steve

There is a mauser in simpsons of shepshed that is beautiful. I would like it but I have enough (for the time being). Its on guntrader and is a thing of beauty.

I personally prefer synthetic, as it can be used and abused without the need to love and caress it when you get home

steyr 243 said:
Take a look at the steyr mannlichers. Very nice rifles. Also the tikka t3 is nice. :D

This is my view on manlikers from another site.

I would not buy new Steyr Manlicker on principle, they sold 5 million pounds worth of 50cal sniper rifles to Iran, the US and our Government objected but Steyr said that Iran had given them assurances that they would be only used for Police action. :rolleyes: :evil:

I have friends who have one each, one’s a classic and the other a Ultra Light, both have had issues getting them to shoot well, my Tikka or Howa still out shoot their Manlikers and they have spend hours with home loads ect to get them to shoot 1MOA.

I would love an old Mannlicher-Schoenauer with a proper Mannlicher rotary magazine as a project. A another mate has one it has a exhibition grade walnut stock, it has been rebarreled in 6.5X55 Swedish rather than the original 6.5X54. It is so nice that he will only stalk with it in fine weather.

Best rgds

Thar

I have a BRNO 243, it is a 1991 model I bought it in 2001, it was old stock NIB at 1991 prices, it has turned out to be an accurate rifle. I treat it quite mean really but it seems to take it all in it's stride.

I think really that any modern maker would be accurate. If it were me I would get either a CZ or a Tikka T3 Lite.

John

Hi Poddle

I have used an old Sako .243 Hunter wooden stocked rifle for the last
18 years and have been very happy with it. :D

The rifle fits me very well and it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot
since I have added a T-8.

I have shot all species of Deer found wild in the UK with it, male and female and have not had any major problems.

It has been an excellent work horse on Fallow Culling and has been
my most used rifle when Red hind culling in the Highlands.

Cannot fault it

Cheers

Fallow Stalker

hi poddle
do not want to be a kiljoy, but have you got your new 243 and if so which one?
as this thread reopened shows how many different rifle choices there are on offer
i reccomened tikka as mine has never let me down
to anyone looking for a new 243 this is the place to be :p

I have 2 .243's 1 a steyr mannlicher which is a very nice rifle shoots 100grn RWS at about 1" 100 yards, twist barrel, rotary mag and lovely wood stock.
2 a Tikka T3 super varmint stainless, plastic stock, adj cheek piece, this also shoots very tight groups and has a T8 mod.
The reason I got 2 is I couldn't butcher the Steyr and fit a moderator I've seen some done and No No.

But then each to their own.

Dickie.

I've got a tikka T3 Stainless Synthetic screw cut with a stainless PES Moderater. It's well made and accurate out of the box, Regulary shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 with it. If I could afford one I would up grading to something like a Sako Finlight in .243. It a real work horse. Plus I think for the price you can;t go far wrong.

But to sit on the fence a bit it's down to your personnel preference, you;ve got to like the rifle in order to shot it well.

I shoot with a sako finnlite and am very pleased with it. Its very light, got a smooth action, rubber inserts for easy grip in all weather.

rifles

i have a remmy model 7. It is a delight. I looked at a sako but couldn't afford it. it looked very nice. I have a ruger m77 mk2 and that also is ok. the remmy 700 is a good rifle for the money. But like i said before they are all pretty good now, with decent factory ammo they will outshoot you and with homeloads.....

the remmy i have has a very tight chamber, to the degree that i will have to have a very thin slice taken off my full length resizing die.

steve

Howa, sako, tikka are all good. Might be lucky with a remmy too.
Many say the walnut stock causes problems when wet or too flexy
up front leading to inaccuracy. Had those problems on a cz walnut
stock once. Remedy was to mill out the channel, pillar bed and while
the bedding job lay out the channell with carbon fibre so it creates one
unit with the pillars and bedding. Presto, a very stiff fore end and
bedded with only 2-3 hrs work. Weatherproof and you have the nice
classic look. After this experience I would prefer to buy a walnut stock
to any injection moulded plastic stock. Very difficult to do something with
that "trash-can-plastic" material. A fibreglas stock would be good too.
edi

Back