A question of poo

Peri

I have been told by the ones "in the know" that you can tell the sex of deer by the droppings they leave!

Apparently does leave scatterd pellets, young bucks in loose clumps and older bucks in tight clumps.

I was also told by someone else that the droppings of does have a dimple and of buck are more spherical.

Are these facts of fiction?

Cheers,
Peri

I'm not sure if you can tell the sex of the deer by the droppings, but I know you can get an estimation of deer densities by surveying the droppings.

I have been told by the ones "in the know" that you can tell the sex of deer by the droppings they leave!

Apparently does leave scatterd pellets, young bucks in loose clumps and older bucks in tight clumps.

I was also told by someone else that the droppings of does have a dimple and of buck are more spherical.

Are these facts of fiction?

Cheers,
Peri

Yes I would agree with that.

mark

As far as "scattered pellets,loose clumps or tight clumps".
This has more to do with the feed they're on at the time.
Young & small deer may better utilise short grasses,larger deer may have better reach for browse,very variable.
The pellets from the sex & age classes will vary throughout the year with seasonal change in diet & requirements.
There is some truth to ageing & sexing with pellets,but its not an absolute,so don't make any bets on your ability to do this.

Cheers Sharkey

you can judge the size of a deer by pellets which for roe, sika and red is an easy tell between species but between sex? nah.... you'd have to be a real master of turd which seriously I doubt.

Next time you shoot one when you remove the anus check the shape of the pellets and do the same with the bucks next year

Dave

I dont know if it is a local thing but I dont think so. Hinds produce scattered pellets stags produce turds round here anyway. The dipples bit is right too but I can not say about the age of stags. I can only comment on reds , I am not aware of this with the smaller spiecies.

Mark

I know they taste good a bit like those Mr Ms the fresh shiny ones are the best though sometimes they cleg a bit but never fibrous.

Back