Ruger M77 stutzen

User00003

I have an opportunity to buy a VGC ruger m77 stutzen in .243 with nice german optics on top...all at a reasonable price,,ish..

having never owned or even shot a ruger, does the forum have any constructive feedback on the quality of this rifle, any pitfalls, etc. and perhas, what would be a reasonable price, less optics, for such a rifle?

I don't know about the Ruger M77, but I just think that the more stutzens there are out there, the better a place the world of stalking is.

PKL. Buy the scope. Leave the rifle alone. I've owned 5 Ruger MKII's and I wouldn't shoot roe deer with them. Regards JCS

That's interesting John, I respect you POV on that of course, but any particular reasons you feel that way?

scope is ok, but seller won't split from rifle..typically!

Is that the one in Dickson's?

They've tried to sell it to me a couple times. If they took about £200 off the price, I'd have thought about it.

Is that the one in Dickson's?

They've tried to sell it to me a couple times. If they took about £200 off the price, I'd have thought about it.

yeees, they've offered me a good chunk off that and another few rifles...I haggle them pretty hard but they like me and we have a laugh ;)

they still refuse to take the recknagel mounts off that CZ ZKK .375H&H and sell them to me for my 30-06 for £50..buggers...LOL

I just picked it up and played about with it today as I'm getting a wee tiddler (.222) sent there next week,,it felt really nice,,you could almost stick it in your pocket sort of rifle

I just picked it up and played about with it today as I'm getting a wee tiddler (.222) sent there next week,,it felt really nice,,you could almost stick it in your pocket sort of rifle

I've had a play with it a few times - it does feel great - very pointable, like a shotgun. But I'm not sure about how well put together it is. I wish we could 'borrow' this sort of thing for a day in the field and properly get the feel of them.

What treble are you getting?

I've had a play with it a few times - it does feel great - very pointable, like a shotgun. But I'm not sure about how well put together it is. I wish we could 'borrow' this sort of thing for a day in the field and properly get the feel of them.

What treble are you getting?

just a cheapo depot BRNO, but I have a thing for them:love: I am also building a nice slim stock for it with ebony cap and ebony schnabel tip, the rust bluing it..just a fun wee project really, it will be my 'light' summer roe stalking rifle, varminting rig and bunny basher past 50yds.

next though, I will be building a full custom .257R an a 7x57 on oberndorf M98's,,they will be sweethearts and will probably be the only two rifles I end up using for many years....

yeees, they've offered me a good chunk off that and another few rifles...I haggle them pretty hard but they like me and we have a laugh ;)

they still refuse to take the recknagel mounts off that CZ ZKK .375H&H and sell them to me for my 30-06 for £50..buggers...LOL

Just buy the .375?

I have an opportunity to buy a VGC ruger m77 stutzen in .243 with nice german optics on top...all at a reasonable price,,ish..

having never owned or even shot a ruger, does the forum have any constructive feedback on the quality of this rifle, any pitfalls, etc. and perhas, what would be a reasonable price, less optics, for such a rifle?

I love the way Ruger 77's look but I hate the way they shoot. Never up to their looks. The man at the local bakery asked me today about his Ruger M-77 in 6mm because it won't shoot. I gave him some practical advice but added that he could save grief by selling it and buying something else. He said it wasn't the first time someone had recommended that as a fix....~Muir

PS: When I was in business doing so, I rebarreled at least a dozen M77's because they wouldn't shoot.

I love the way Ruger 77's look but I hate the way they shoot. Never up to their looks. The man at the local bakery asked me today about his Ruger M-77 in 6mm because it won't shoot. I gave him some practical advice but added that he could save grief by selling it and buying something else. He said it wasn't the first time someone had recommended that as a fix....~Muir

PS: When I was in business doing so, I rebarreled at least a dozen M77's because they wouldn't shoot.

well i have do disagree , my ruger shoots extremely accurately with home loads mind you i've never put a factory load through it !

infact im looking for another in 30-06 !

Well. I have always offered that maybe Ruger has gotten better with their barrels and fitting. During a period from the early 70's through the early nineties they had some serious barrel quality issues and they ran through several barrel suppliers after eliminating themselves.

I'm not saying you don't have an accurate rifle, but my experience is that they usually arrive with mediocre accuracy. This has carried on even into their latest M77 back country gun. (I can remember the specific model) Everyone loves the look and handling but the gun writers have to get really creative to make it sound any better than a 1.5 to 2 MOA rifle. At least in the reports I've read. I have rebarreled many Rugers in the past, and run bore scopes through most of them. Horrible barrels. But maybe, they are doing better these days. I'll say this: If the Stutezen the OP is looking at is more than 20 years old I'd walk.~Muir

that's good info Muir, and much appreciated. with that in mind, and the comments from JCS, both of whose opinions I greatly respect and give credibility to, I think I will leave it on their shelves for someone else to 'enjoy' ;)

​..let's be honest,,,I don't actually 'need' one anyway...

My friend had a Mk2 M77 Stutzen in 243. Handled like a dream and consistently shot MOA with factory ammunition. No wandering zero problems either.

I was offered a ruger m77 in 308 at a very competitive price, when I had a slot free. The rifle looked and handled well, cycling the bolt was fine and the trigger wasn't too bad for a yank gun. However accuracy was average at best. It didn't matter if the ammo was factory or home loads, I couldn't get it to group below approx 2 inches at 100 yds.
​i took it to a mate who immediately re-crowned it, which did tighten it up some but my confidence in the rifle was lost. I replaced it with a Savage. Ugly gun, terrible stock but ****ed all over the ruger with regards to accuracy.

I ended up with a Ruger M-77 Mrk II in 350 Rem Mag after a complicated 3 way trade last year. It was made in 2010 and is very accurate. That being said, I've owned a number of 77's over the years and most of them were 1.5 to 2.5 moa rifles. Thats not that bad, but they weren't tack drivers. Then again, I do like full length stocks so I'd probably buy it anyway lol.

AB

I had a Ruger 77RSI tang safety gun in 308 about 5 years ago . With handloads about the best I could get it to do was 1 1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards . But since I was going to use it in the woods that was good enough . I did however replace the sear in the darn thing with a RifleBasix , before I swapped it the thing never had a consistent trigger pull ! I tried to get it set at about 2 1/2 pounds and a couple times it would be at 2 1/2 then 3 1/4 then 3 3/4 then maybe 3 pounds never would settle in . After putting in the RifleBasix trigger it stayed at a consistent 2 pounds .

We have a Ruger 77RSI MKII 243 NIB in the shop now trying to sell it for someone that used to have a shop and never sold it . The guy wants way way way to much for it ! With a Burris 3-9 mid grade scope and a case he wants $1800 which I would say is $600-800 to much !

Back