Horse meat jerky/biltong

stratts

Anyone made jerky or biltong from horse meat?

I was at a medievil re-enactment yesterday with my boys who were chewing on my venison biltong. One of the people there spotted them and said the best jerky they had tasted was from horse meat as it is apparently a bit sweeter than beef and venison!

Anyone tried making it? I found a website yesterday that sells the raw meat in the UK and it not that expensive tbh to buy,

Cheers

Stratts

Tbh I've eaten horse a few times (I lived in France for a few years) and although it was edible I'd not rate it higher than venison or even beef......

I picked up a large chunk of horse loin from a stud after they shot a horse for being too old no dodgy drugs used on her every so safe to eat I think it was about the best meat I've eaten can't see why it wouldn't make great jerky

Kenzie are based just outside Duns in the Scottish Borders.

Zebra Biltong is pretty good so expect horse would be too. On one piece of ground I have there are a lot of horses, and the deer hide behind them. Now thats got me thinking..... but how do you get a horse into a roe sack:D

I tried horse the one time, it was alright but I seemed to have some kind of weird reaction to it. It made my throat go all funny and I lost my voice. I had to go to the doctor in the end, I could barely speak to tell him what was wrong so I wrote down "I ate some meat and it made me lose my voice"
He must have seen it before, because he just said "Hoarse?"

Back