First stalking rifle choice

otisthedog

Please forgive me if I am about to start a calibre debate :doh:
Am filling out my first FAC application at present and the only thing left marked in pencil rather than pen is calibre.

The rifle is to be used mainly on the family farm (350 acres ish) for fox and the odd roe for the freezer. I also intend on finding some additional roe stalking and am likely to get invites from friends on other ground to shoot roe and reds. So the use will be roughly 60% roe, 30% fox 10% red. I have just changed my application from .243 to 6.5 X 55. I am a little hesitant about this simply as I will be in need of a good condition setup (rifle, scope, mod) for around £750 and there are far more .243s available. However have also been told by a friend (an RFD) to be wary of a used .243 as many get a lot of foxing use so may have fired many many shots.

Thoughts please!

Cheers

6.5x55, 25.06 and 270 are all excellent choices. I don't see that calibres get inherently more expensive just because they get bigger - have a hunt around and something will come up - but don't take the first one just because it's the first. Buying a rifle is quite an emotive thing (IMO) and if you're not sure, you will never be happy with the rifle.

I general I would prefer a 6.5 over a 243, however, if you are really just going to be shooting foxes and Roe, the 243 is more than good enough.

I would say stick with a 243 just because it will be easier to pick up a decent one second hand. You will struggle to put together a decent rifle and scope for £750, look at spending £400 max on the rifle and as much as you can on the scope.

I would probably buy this:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/111227190638000

and spend the rest on a scope, You can pick up mounts in the classifieds here for about £70. Look for a S&B Hungarian 8x56. You are good to go. You can add a moderator later when you have a few quid.

Last edited:
Think 'we've' got away quite lightly on the calibre debate thus far - just wait til 'they' start getting in from work!

Undoubtedly more 243's to choose from - that will include the good, bad and indifferent. Whilst personally a huge 6.5 fan, from what you say I don't believe 243 will limit you unduly. Havent had chance to scan Guntrader for whats currently going in 6.5.

Never dealt with, but heard good things about Steve Beaty - may be mis-selling him, but think he may have a try before buy service? That Sako will be built like nothing available new today. Irritating that suffers from T8 barrel swiping, but looks very tidy.

All assuming local FEO has no 'views' regards first calibres - in which case 243 more likely to get the nod.

But as has been said - confidence is 99% of it; so need to really check what your feelings are.

Steve Beaty is an absolutely top chap and yes, you will be able to test fire the rifle at his facility. He doesn't compromise in my experience and won't sell things he wouldn't use himself. It will be worth your while making the trip to see him if only to make a useful contact and have the experience of being in a gunshop. There will be no expectation to buy and I have seen him advise people against having a certain rifle if he doesn't think it right for them.

Undoubtedly more 243's to choose from - that will include the good, bad and indifferent. Whilst personally a huge 6.5 fan, from what you say I don't believe 243 will limit you unduly.
But as has been said - confidence is 99% of it; so need to really check what your feelings are.

Thanks for the replies and I think Moray Outfitting has backed up my gut feeling, especially as the budget is tight. Down the road if I end up being more concerned with the reds then I can always apply for a variation. Any tips for telling if a used 243 has a few years left in it?

Cheers folks

If thought the calibre debate was a talking point, sussing secondhand ( and sadly some new ) rifles is a whole new world!:eek:

Not least from the FAC admin side of things, a rifle purchase is a big decision. Not just flying RFD flag, but I'd always opt for personal and interested service over a price difference of tens of pounds. Now indifference can come from small dealers just as well as large - and vice versa, but a good starting point is to go somewhere that's interested and has ( or wants ) a reputation to protect.

Key area of 'from use' with rifles is the throat. Though I've seen as many damaged from incorrect cleaning as shooting. But 80% of your eyeball time should be up the barrel - concentrate on the throat area and first 3-4 inches of barrel - and not least the crown and last 1inch or so of the rifling.

Stocks can be battered or neat - only reflects how carried/ stored rather than how much shot.

Good to look at bolt body and locking lugs for signs of wear/ pitting etc and equally inside the bolt way - use quickly polishes up such areas.

Just be aware that barrels operate on 8 parts witchcraft - they can be well worn and shoot small holes - but pitting tends to be fatal to accuracy.

Often a good sign ( always look on the bright side ) if the rifle has a T8 bushing wear line - at least shows the things was removed often!

If buying privately secondhand, get crafty. Have a chat and try phrases like 'aren't bore snakes really good' - any reply to the positive would have me out with a magnifying glass on the crown!

That Sako will be quite easy - check bore and try the bolt - should feel like a bank vault closing ( only works on older Sako's! ).

If bore looks really bright and shiney - put a patch through it so you're looking at bore, not oil - expect a bit of oil/ dust etc on a dealer shelf - but real gritty yuck or rust is not good.

And always shoot it if you can!

I think what you need is a nice 7X57 with a Pecar 8X56, did I mention I could sell you a nice one well within your budget :D

I'd go with the 243 it will do everything you need it to do. There loads out there for sale. Tikkas, sakos, mannlichers would be my first choice.

Please forgive me if I am about to start a calibre debate :doh:
Am filling out my first FAC application at present and the only thing left marked in pencil rather than pen is calibre.

The rifle is to be used mainly on the family farm (350 acres ish) for fox and the odd roe for the freezer. I also intend on finding some additional roe stalking and am likely to get invites from friends on other ground to shoot roe and reds. So the use will be roughly 60% roe, 30% fox 10% red. I have just changed my application from .243 to 6.5 X 55. I am a little hesitant about this simply as I will be in need of a good condition setup (rifle, scope, mod) for around £750 and there are far more .243s available. However have also been told by a friend (an RFD) to be wary of a used .243 as many get a lot of foxing use so may have fired many many shots.

Thoughts
I will offer this one piece of advice, choose your rifle/scope setup very carefully, speak to your shooting freinds and what guns they have(this will generally be the same as theres) and make 1 rifle choice, make it the rifle to do all from fox to boar because you will save lots of money in the long run! Think about the stock and what sort you want make one choice, unlike me putting in a variation for 7 08 2 years down the line especially when my mate said told you to get it right first time after he had been there done that wasted the money!

Personally I would ring Steve Beatty and see what he can sort out for you as a package, you never know what he may have knocking around. That way you can try before you buy and cut out some of the risk. Dont worry too much with regards to calibre. For a first stalking rifle it really doesnt matter so long as its deer legal and moderately sensible ie avoid big game cartridges. There is probably more twaddle spoken about choice of calibre than anything else!!

Another one here who thinks Mr Beatty is a diamond. I went to look at a Sauer Outback he had but the stock didn't fit me well, he immediately decided I should look for another rifle and different stock. I would deal with him again anytime and recommend him to anyone!

When I first applied for my FAC I wanted a .308, but the Firearms Department didn't want to allow me it for deer & fox and would only allow it for deer. As I needed a rifle for fox too, I went for the 6.5x55 which was the largest calibre they would allow for deer & fox at the time. But I was shooting mainly fallow.

I think the .243 would suit you admirably for fox & roe, and if you buy the Sako you will have a much sought after action, which in time you can re-barrel if you want to ,to .260, 7mm-08 or .308 as well as .243. They are a quality item!

Steve will send the rifle to an RFD of your choice, who can then inspect it for you, if you don't like it he will have it back! No quibbles!!

Simon

Back