Landy nerds needed

SirTBOB

Hi am looking at buying a new (second hand ) Landrover in a few weeks time , have spoken to a few people about it and have decided on a defender , but the choice now is which model is cheaper to buy/run/insure ?:confused::)

300 tdi 110 crew cab. (doublecab may be the correct landrover term.)
But really depends what you want to use it for.
How many road miles?
How much kit to lug about?
Dead animals?
How many people being carried etc.

was gonna go with the 330tdi but not sure on crew cab , however might be use full but there very expensive arn't they ? well ideally needs 4 seats , and needs to carry a fair bit of gear as im a gamekeeper and also have a dog , and as for road miles i don't mind as have many friends who are capable of helping me fix it :)

Well you will need a 110 anyway.

Both agree 300tdi, reliable and powerful (ish)

The crew cab allows you to throw smelly dirty gear in the back without mucking up the pristine luxury of the cab.

Failing that a station wagon, with a boarded out back with a good dog guard.

good thinking batman ;) just 1 problem there and that's the price of these things as i will only have about 2grand to play with :(

yes true , but as i said im a gamekeeper not a bank manager lol :D , am not expecting anything too great though , it will probably be one of ebay's finest ;)

first thing you need to do is get a good array of tool's and a good area to work,,,,and make sure you have plenty of time on your hands,,,,because no matter what L/R you buy you are going to need a lot of tools and time to fix it every time it breaks down,,,on average every day. :D

paul

I,ve got a galvy chassised 96 plate 300tdi 90 with 104k on it and all running gear engine and transmission are original and at mot in dec one bulb and a bush were all that was required.it has no exhaust tailpipe at the moment as i burst it reversing into a big rock out lamping and drivers door doesnt shut very well but its offroad seriously at least twice a week the now and it will be getting a right hard time over the next couple of months when lambing gets fully underway and foxing gets serious and me and lamping buddies know it will get us out to where no pickup will go and get us back!done 12000miles since it got the new chassis and a power steering box(original one)packed in ,shockers and prop replaced and a wheel bearing which gave me plenty of warning it was on the way out have been only real hassles but were easily and cheaply replaced,easily get 4 stags in the back and i dont worry about blood in the back as its easily cleaned out,I can see the attraction of pickups for comfort but i dont worry too much about that and I much prefer the short wheelbase for offroad capability and the ability to get out of tight bits on the hill or wood ,if you have ever tried turning a pickup at night on a hill track with a very steep drop down one side you,ll know why i prefer a 90 and i,d never voluntarily swap it for anything other than another land rover

I have been running a1997 110 csw 300 tdi for the last 5 years with very few problems it has 170000 on the clock much cheaper to maintain than my mates isuzu trooper. never had any major problems at mot . i would only swap it for another landy .
For your 2 grand you may find a 110 with a 200 tdi in it which is also a good engine.

96 plate with only 104K on the clock, barely run in!

I have an 87, ex turbo diesel, now re-engined with 300tdi, and admittedly on a replacement galvinised chassis, but it has been used as a competition motor, in extreme off roading events in the UK and europe. It has been to the top of Ben Nevis and toured North Africa, has covered about 375,000 miles and is an excellent reliable motor!

Some are dogs, but some are diamonds!

96 plate with only 104K on the clock, barely run in!

I have an 87, ex turbo diesel, now re-engined with 300tdi, and admittedly on a replacement galvinised chassis

Yours sounds like corky's and they both sound like triggers brush - never had any problem with them at all but have replaced every single major component including the engine and chassis :)

As trooper3.1 says, you'd better get ready with the tools if the experience of those who love land rovers is anything to go by.

As trooper3.1 says, you'd better get ready with the tools if the experience of those who love land rovers is anything to go by.

This is not my experience with my vehicle.

Triggers brush? Think at 375K I could have replaced the whole car twice and would still be counted as a reliable motor!

Also have a 1948 Land Rover, only thing changed is the engine, (in the early fifties) and the rear tub, due to accident damage in the seventies/eighties. Still runs sweetly.

Then again I had a Tomb Raider 110, that I sent back to the dealer, it was so bad, and was going to sue them to get my money back, but they gave in and paid up.

Hi am looking at buying a new (second hand ) Landrover in a few weeks time , have spoken to a few people about it and have decided on a defender , but the choice now is which model is cheaper to buy/run/insure ?:confused::)

Been there done that ended up with a L200 with snug top and don't no how I done without it,it's reliable warm practical good off road corrosion free pretty much everything my 90 wasn't, but on the other hand my girlfriend has got a 90 puma and that is a cracking vehicle and if I were to buy one it would be a puma series not a old 90 version just my opinion obviously others will obviously disagree...

Yours sounds like corky's and they both sound like triggers brush - never had any problem with them at all but have replaced every single major component including the engine and chassis :)

only reason my chassis got replaced was because it was a farmers/geese controllers over on Islay and it never seen a hose in its life,I can gaurantee you any jap vehicle that had the same treatment would have had no chassis left and body would be a patchwork of welding as well,I,ve seen plenty of them and although im a huge fan of daihatsu fourtraks I had 2 of them for 7 years they were getting welded big time every year and from what i,ve seen of more modern pickups the chassis can start corroding quite badly surprisingly early so i wont want to hold onto one of them too long,land rover chassis are fairly easy to change thats why its a big market and look at the resale value of a rechassised model!changing bushes on independent suspension vehicles is a nightmare as well theres that many of them and as I said my 90 is all original axles,transmission engine etc.as a footnote my mates sons hilux which has already practically been rebuilt wrecked a diff during the week and last night head gasket went on the engine!!mmm

Back