This time it's not entirely my fault.

Muir

So I make the trip to the city to buy some hi-end gear oil for the front wheel drive box of my motorcycle and I pass one of the sporting goods stores. They are having a sidewalk sale for hunting clothes so I stop in and find some grey-green mossey oak gear in my size for 75% off and I buy it. I wander into the store-proper to see if any other bargain were to be had.

In the used gun rack there is a high end Savage .308. Armored synthetic stock, adjustable comb, accu-stock (aluminum bedding block) and a muzzle break at the end of a long barrel. It has a 20 MOA rail mounted. The price is $519. I am not an expert on Savage rifles but it looks vaguely like the police model I was considering a year or two back. That rifle was $895 though. So, not knowing what I was looking at, I call my good friend (a member of this board, I might add) and ask him. He tells me that it is indeed the rifle I thought it was and that this was a "take it home now" price. I talk to the sales clerk. It seems that this rifle was their display model, set up with a Vortex scope and bipod and that while unfired, it was technically a 2nd hand gun because the store owned it. (and probably wrote it off on their taxes) It still has the box and papers.

Well. I have about $80 left in my pocket and no check-book within 60 miles. I talk the clerk and manager into taking a deposit on the gun until I can get back with the rest of the money in a couple of weeks. They are nice about it and the deal is done. I'll pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Another mouth to feed but I'm not claiming full responsibility on this one. If Marine PMI had told me to walk away I would have, but he didn't, so he bears a good bit of the responsibility. I may be the vehicle of my own destruction, but I'm not the driver.~Muir

PS: And another thing! I spent all of my money on the rifle and didn't have any left for the gear oil. Dammit.

Muir you should put up a photo of your collection some time... if you can borrow a panoramic camera! :D

You go into the city for motor oil, find the right size cammo for 75% off and then spot the deal of the century.

Is the name of the city Paradise by any chance??

"Envy, green, with"....rearrange into well known saying.

willie_gunn

Muir you should put up a photo of your collection some time... if you can borrow a panoramic camera! :D

I have the camera. It's hard to get them all in one place for a photo. I can't get into my main gun room without tripping these days. I gave my daughter her 17 or 18 guns last fall. I thought it would help but it didn't make a dent. One of these days, I'm going to have my son remove his remaining 30 or so. That might help.

Too much stuff.~Muir

PS: And another thing! I spent all of my money on the rifle and didn't have any left for the gear oil. Dammit.

That's no problem, as luck would have it... you'll be back in town in a fortnight anyway.

The bike will manage on whatever oil you've got, till then, surely? :D

Just imagine walking into a gun shop on a whim, spotting a bargain and buying it there and then......

We can but dream.

That excuse won't work with the wife.....
edi

Edi: Luckily I shook that rat off of my neck a few years back.
Tamus: I'd actually just changed it before the last ride. I just wanted to try one that was recommended to me. The lube I used worked brilliantly and at this point, I've given up on the idea of changing brands....

Can't afford the good stuff now, anyhow. :doh:~Muir

Muir, your restraint at being willing to walk away amazes and inspires us all ;)

Enjoy the toy!

Scrummy

Let me get this right, you the gun whore are now blaming Tim because you seduced yourself into buying yet another gun, yeah right. Hope you can find some ammo for it :D. Enjoy it, and change the oil on the bike!

John

Let me get this right, you the gun whore are now blaming Tim because you seduced yourself into buying yet another gun, yeah right. Hope you can find some ammo for it :D. Enjoy it, and change the oil on the bike!

John

It's not fair to put this all on me. You know the way I am.

Hey! I still haven't shot the CZ 452 American you said I'd have shot out in a week! What? Three years now? Four?? It's still in the box. Gun Whore! Really!

More of a trollop, I'd think.~Muir

Changed the oil already.

Hi Muir,
We met a family from Cleveland "Jim & Louis" while I was at the Camp Perry summer nationals in 1884 and we took up the invite to visit them in Cleveland. It was just 3 bedroom unassumingly normal 80-90 year old home in a suburban street, the biggest bedroom was all vertical gun racks on 4 walls, must have been well over 160 rifles and the pistols were laid about all over the place, plus they just had a wooden door "this is of course the USA".
We were plinking the .45acps in the basement while our 2 ladies were making a cake above our heads in the kitchen (surreal).
happy days
Martin

Hi Muir,
We met a family from Cleveland "Jim & Louis" while I was at the Camp Perry summer nationals in 1884 and we took up the invite to visit them in Cleveland. It was just 3 bedroom unassumingly normal 80-90 year old home in a suburban street, the biggest bedroom was all vertical gun racks on 4 walls, must have been well over 160 rifles and the pistols were laid about all over the place, plus they just had a wooden door "this is of course the USA".
We were plinking the .45acps in the basement while our 2 ladies were making a cake above our heads in the kitchen (surreal).
happy days
Martin

That's the life, eh? I don't have a basement range tho I dream of it!~Muir

Ahhh Bravianbrit ........................................ did you by chance know Mr Benz? I know you work in the car industry and after all:-

while I was at the Camp Perry summer nationals in 1884

So you must be old enough to have met Mr Benz as he was just getting going back in 1884 :norty:.

LOL! I miss a day or two, and what? I get blamed for seducing Muir into buying another rifle. :doh:

(I have to admit though, it didn't take much...wait, maybe "gun whore" may have a deeper, darker, hidden meaning in this case, as well as a ring of truth...). :D

Muir, if the shoe fits...:p

LOL! I miss a day or two, and what? I get blamed for seducing Muir into buying another rifle. :doh:

(I have to admit though, it didn't take much...wait, maybe "gun whore" may have a deeper, darker, hidden meaning in this case, as well as a ring of truth...). :D

Muir, if the shoe fits...:p

Wow. Thanks for taking that bullet for me Marine. I'd shake your hand but first I need to shake off this this gigantic bus somebody threw me under a minute ago.

And why was the tail pipe on your car dragging pavement when you left here a while back?? Trunk loaded with what??:D~Muir

Back