Deeply Deeply Sad

Heym SR20

I really cannot understand what has happened to this country. We have spent many decades building a tolerant and inclusive society - I feel part of this society, but I don't recognise it any more.

It seems as if the referendum debate has been taken as a free ticket for Xenophobic behaviour to be order of the day - the first referendum started this, and the most recent one and behaviour since has made it even worse.

When are we going to wake up from the nightmare? I don't see any positives at the moment, just an awful lot of hard work required to repair relationships at family, social, business and political level and that is going to take a generation.

scary times ahead i feel europe has been used as scape goat for our lack luster self serving politicians with the concequence you describe above. Hope im wrong and this country emerges stronger and safer
jake

it's not just xenophobia there seems to be a general nastiness in some sections of society,
one group of yobs telling people to clear off home and another group telling old people to hurry up and die for ruining our future. Is there really any need.

Last edited:
I really cannot understand what has happened to this country. We have spent many decades building a tolerant and inclusive society - I feel part of this society, but I don't recognise it any more.

It seems as if the referendum debate has been taken as a free ticket for Xenophobic behaviour to be order of the day - the first referendum started this, and the most recent one and behaviour since has made it even worse.

When are we going to wake up from the nightmare? I don't see any positives at the moment, just an awful lot of hard work required to repair relationships at family, social, business and political level and that is going to take a generation.

I don't recognise this. My family and friends never were 'xenophobic ' still are not . I can only speak from my own personal experience. Maybe your reading and taking seriously too much on here:rolleyes:.....

The snobbish mischaracterizations by liberal politicians, globalists, and media pundits has been to smear them as, uneducated, old, selfish, unsophisticated, rural bumpkins who work with their hands.

Isn't that the actual bigotry which the Remains harbor and express, in their unsubstantiated labeling?

If they could make an argument for the dissolution of the British culture, wouldn't they do so? We are getting the same sort of insults from the media here in the USA, in an attempt to stem the revolt against change forced on us. Those who favor borderless globalism and regulations to the rule of law don't even want to express their vision and goals.

If you actually look at the figures, hate crimes are still actually pretty low. The recent campaign has emboldened those idiots amongst us who indulge in this type of thing, but even given the fairly high percentage of increase, the actual figures are low.

However, the British press see this as a golden opportunity to make merry with this. Which, of course give publicity to these numpties who do this, which of course is great for them.

So, gentle folk, by all means condemn hate crimes and bigotry. But be careful you aren't fanning the flames.

The genie is back out of the bottle - and as for the media who've cultivated this hatred and now says 'how awful!' - shame on them all and their twisted agendas

Well said Heym.

The leave campaign has give oxygen to latent racists in our country. Friends of mine have been abused (one a South African now UK national who has contributed more to us than most could achieve in several lifetimes). If Brexit goes ahead Scotland will leave be in no doubt.

The mostly English Brexiters will be left clapping the huge triumph of a few less Poles and the punishment for the "bankers" and tax base slashed.

I don't recognise this. My family and friends never were 'xenophobic ' still are not . I can only speak from my own personal experience. Maybe your reading and taking seriously too much on here:rolleyes:.....

If you believe anything you read in a newspaper or choose your channel accordingly for the news then its absolutely transparent the total bs you will be fed accordingly..

Sad days when the truth is buried so deep nobody can see it for ****

If you believe anything you read in a newspaper or choose your channel accordingly for the news then its absolutely transparent the total bs you will be fed accordingly..

Sad days when the truth is buried so deep nobody can see it for ****

Strawman....

Who said anything about believing what you read in newspapers,I don't...
I watched the debate, the fat cats are closing ranks on the Uk to preserve their non jobs..it will very soon work against them....

I would generally echo this.

I do live out in the country, but so far the only real vitriol I've experienced post-Brexit is on here, on Facebook, and on other social media. Strangely nearly all of these carry some degree of anonymity, which I fear lets people say things online that they would never say face-to-face.

It will be interesting to visit London tomorrow and see how things are there, but out here in the countryside you'd barely know there had been a referendum. Would that were true.

What seems to have happened is that, as with many such issues, some strongly held views have suddenly been brought into stark relief, pitching parents against children, young against old, friend against friend, and town against country.

In one of the papers today they said the country has suffered a collective nervous breakdown, and I'm beginning to think they are right. Someone else has coined the phrase "Brexhaustion". None of this is helped by a media that is thirsty for dissent, keen to expose anger, and all too willing to whip up a storm.

41 people were murdered yesterday in the explosion at Ataturk airport in Istanbul - an airport, a country, and a people I very happily visit for work several times each year. I have colleagues working there whose names I have trouble spelling but whose friendship I cherish. How must they feel seeing reports of that real human tragedy pushed off the front pages by the petty political machinations of a community they were eager to join? When we should be uniting in condemning the perpetrators of this atrocity we are instead condemning our fellow countrymen.

In the spirit of this, my sincere apologies to all those I've wound up, insulted, or otherwise caused to raise their eyebrows and spit out their tea in the course of the last week. I'll try to keep things in perspective from now on.

Thank Heavens that I'll soon be heading up North to get away from the TV, radio and Internet, and pick up a rod or camera rather than a keyboard.

Quite agree with all that has been said. Our country is in a mess politically and is isolating ourselves more and more. What is now apparent is the mistruths told to us by the exit campaign with regards to us being better off out of Europe. On top of this is Nigel behaving in such an unacceptable way that statesmen from the world described him as "an idiot"!
This is how our country is now being seen by those we want to have trade agreements with.
our only friends seem to be the far right in Europe which is a worrying alliance if ever there was one and can only support the right wing like Nigel's mates in this country.
I fear that the xenophobia seen is just the start and unless we try and control it now we may see more organised race riots as we have in the past. History tells us that extremist politics benefit at times of unrest and uncertainty let's hope we don't repeat it this time.

BE

The extremists have always benefited in this country regardless because too many limp wristed, shameless, spineless people choose to support their rights over that of the indigenous people.

Its pathetic to see those standing up for the laws and rights of this country to then be labelled rascist, xenophobes or what ever else youd like to label it..

Those that wish to settle here and call it home should not wish to then change that very foundation to be akin to a place they have run from.

Its a friggin joke to see people burning poppies and marching and demonstrating against the very troops that allow them the freedom of speech to spew their vile hatred in the first place..

Get real is my opinion instead of jumping on the little media driven bandwagon.

Id like nothing more than to see the streets swept clean and the deportation of any immigrant/ extremist that wishes to turn judas on the country that has welcomed them and allowed them more privileges and rights than that which they were afforded in the country they ran from.

The extremists have always benefited in this country regardless because too many limp wristed, shameless, spineless people choose to support their rights over that of the indigenous people.

Its pathetic to see those standing up for the laws and rights of this country to then be labelled rascist, xenophobes or what ever else youd like to label it..

Those that wish to settle here and call it home should not wish to then change that very foundation to be akin to a place they have run from.

Its a friggin joke to see people burning poppies and marching and demonstrating against the very troops that allow them the freedom of speech to spew their vile hatred in the first place..

Id like nothing more than to see the streets swept clean and the deportation of any immigrant/ extremist that wishes to turn judas on the country that has welcomed them and allowed them more privileges and rights than that which they were afforded in the country they ran from.

Hear hear, well said.

Ian.

And that is the crux of the matter this has been simmering away for years and i dont mean a couple of years i mean for a very very long time, i can only talk of the area's i live and work but it was only a matter of time before it went bang when the older generation that went through the aftermath of a World War start commenting and complaining about the way things are then you know that something has seriously gone wrong, the racist word is banded about too much these people are not racists they have simply had enough and have said so.

And some of the responses on the SD to this and other threads just reinforces this feeling.

And some of the responses on the SD to this and other threads just reinforces this feeling.

Don't confuse the echo chamber here with reality. The people who tend to capture attention are very much in a minortiy.

99.9% of the population are keeping their heads down, keeping calm, and carrying on.

So So true

Back