info on a shotgun

stav

Hi is there any way you can trace any info I.e. what year it was made and stuff from your serial number on the internet.cheers stav

Hi is there any way you can trace any info I.e. what year it was made and stuff from your serial number on the internet.cheers stav

That will depend on what the make and popularity is Stav. If it is a fairly modern shotgun by one of the big makers such as Browning or Beretta etc there are internet sites that explain their numbering systems and date codes but if it is an old small English maker then you best guess will be using the proof marks as scoop says.

It wouldn't do any harm to post photographs on a site like this also especially those showing the proof marks clearly as some of the guys on the site are quite knowledgeable on such matters.

Even small gunmakers have surprisingly good records. Giriffin & Howe, Dietrich Apel, and lots of smaller ones have been able to go right to their records. Even small German gun makers are documented in books. I found a beautiful engraved rifle made in a little town in Czechoslovakia in the 1970s. I found a little webisite for them, sent an e-mail, and the semi-retired gunsmith answered. He had built it for Communist potentate. I was able to trace a shotgun built in Germany by a man who only built a few hundred of them before WWII broke out.

HI guys, its a belgium hand made browning a1 serial no.98595 .
Where is the proof mark going to be, don't know much about shotguns
Stav

Yes had alook yesterday but none of it makes sense to me. I only bought the gun as I was advised too afew years ago but after seeing the price of them I might sell it as I don't use it really
Stav

If you break the shotgun the proof marks are are on the barrels that are covered by the fore end
The serial number , bore , choke , chamber length , proof mark and the proof markers id stamp should all be there
Belgian shotgun info is well documented

Found them, just need a magnifying glass as peepers are upto it, will post up when I can read them.
Cheers stav

Back