no boar in strathclyde

Scots_stalker

i was in glasgow fieldsports talking away to the guy behind the counter about my new 308 when another customer pipes up that he was refused a 308 because he said he wanted it for boar, the said that there are no boar in strathclyde , is this true ?

Hi scots_stalker, I have done a fair bit of deer stalking in strathclyde and don't know of any boar in the area, could be wrong but only red, roe and wild goats from my experience but always up for learning new thing.

David

No boar in strathclyde, nearest Dumfries + Galloway, think they might have been escapee's from

Cairnminnows Estate near Carsphairn !

Rgds, Buck.

I never realised that the presence of a particular species in your area was a requirement for the grant of FAC :doh:

Did he apply for a .308 and for his 'good reason' say it was to shoot boar on an area where there are no boar? If so, then why is he surprised it was refused? :doh:

Did he apply for a .308 and for his 'good reason' say it was to shoot boar on an area where there are no boar? If so, then why is he surprised it was refused? :doh:

Won't the future be fantastic - when we can all have our own personal cart with an engine thingy someone will invent that can take us wherever and whenever we want on this flat earth.

D&G must be at least 4 hard days trekking from Glasgow. No wonder the guy was refused.

:stir:

Could be..

Or it could be that he was talked out of it rather than actually applying fully.

Or... It could be the fact, which we've now discussed quite often, that Wild Boar as a term is simply not recognised in Scotland, and this has been decided in court.

Wild Boar is a misnomer used by producers of farmed meat who use "wildboar" genetics to varying degrees of purity, seldom 100%, though even if they were 100% "wildboar" genetics they are "farmed" (not wild) animals. Until the creatures in question, which we are talking about, cease to have "escaped" and thus "owned" status, our Police forces' view on this is unlikely to change.

I was refused boar on my certificate when I went for a larger calibre but they left on fox and vermin. If I had a boar shooting trip booked or had them on the land I normally shoot they would have put it on. Which I find strange as if I were to shoot one I would have had to have permission anyway.

There's an easy way round that yorksjt.... book a trip with Brian Nelson :D

What the guy meant (he probably didn't explain well enough) was that Strathclyde Licensing do not recognise the existance of wild boar.

A farmer was convicted on keeping wild boar without a license, however an academic with his head permananently lodged up his arse that successfully argued that the farmer couldn't be found guilty of the laws because the 'boar' to which he was accused of keeping unlawfully were actually hairy pigs. The sheriff essentially accepted that there are no such animals as boars in the UK and as such, any wild boar are just escaped pigs.

Strathclyde immediately jumped on the bandwagon and will cite the court case when folks submit a variation for boar. You will not get a variation for boar if in Strathclyde.

Here's a link describing the case: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4744538.stm

Strathclyde immediately jumped on the bandwagon and will cite the court case when folks submit a variation for boar. You will not get a variation for boar if in Strathclyde.

Ask for a variation to shoot hairy pigs then :rofl:

Can i just say that a friend of mine and my self have both got wild boar on our open tickets and we are both in strathclyde. I have it useing a 6.5 x 284 and he has it on his 6.5 x 55. But i will say there are no wild boar in Strathclyde at the moment.

Allan

Can i just say that a friend of mine and my self have both got wild boar on our open tickets and we are both in strathclyde. I have it useing a 6.5 x 284 and he has it on his 6.5 x 55. But i will say there are no wild boar in Strathclyde at the moment.

Allan

You got them all then? ;)

Allan

That's interesting. I tend to assume that you got wild boar on your tickets because:

A) You wish to shoot them somewhere other than in Scotland.

and...

B) Your tickets were not truly "open" at all.

Would I be wrong?

Last edited:
Back