Joint Possession of Rifles???

charlieg43

Hi all. Iv been scanning this section of SD and I cannot for the life of me find out anything about the joint possession of a firearm. Speaking to my Firearms Officer, she said that it is fine to have my fathers rifle on my ticket as I have an open slot for it, moderator etc but I do not know where to find, or if there is, a joint possession form as such to fill out, or if just a written letter will suffice? Frankly I am stumped!

Looking at the other forms given to me when I received my licence, none seem to fit the category for a joint possession! The acquisition form features nothing on the subject. I have checked both my local constabulary website as well as BASC and neither has been successful.

If any members could shed any light on the subject, or possibly point me in the direction of where to look for such a form or how to go about formulating a letter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Charles

I have some shared work firearms.

They were mentioned on a covering letter and came printed on the cert. When we bought a new gun it was entered on my FAC and then we returned my wife's FAC for the gun to be added, with a 2 line covering letter.

If your father wrote:

I give my permission for my son to share my 123 cal rifle SN 123456789.

Sign and return with your FAC.

Don't overcomplicate.

Hi all. Iv been scanning this section of SD and I cannot for the life of me find out anything about the joint possession of a firearm. Speaking to my Firearms Officer, she said that it is fine to have my fathers rifle on my ticket as I have an open slot for it, moderator etc but I do not know where to find, or if there is, a joint possession form as such to fill out, or if just a written letter will suffice? Frankly I am stumped!

Looking at the other forms given to me when I received my licence, none seem to fit the category for a joint possession! The acquisition form features nothing on the subject. I have checked both my local constabulary website as well as BASC and neither has been successful.

If any members could shed any light on the subject, or possibly point me in the direction of where to look for such a form or how to go about formulating a letter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Charles

Charles

On my ticket I have all the rifles belonging to the person who runs the stalking where I am a retained stalker. This is so that I can legally possess these rifles when out with clients. It sounds like you need to do the same with your fathers rifle, i.e. have it listed on both yours, and your fathers, tickets.

If so, there is no special form! I just list them on my regular FAC application form with a note that these rifles are also on another ticket (in fact they are on another two tickets) - I include both the other FAC numbers - and they do the same with mine. This ensures that we are all compliant legally when out with clients.

willie_gunn

Apache,

Is it really that simple? I trust he would have to include my SN too. Just seems a little odd that there is no form (seeing as the police love a good form or two) that could help make this simpler. I will do as you have said, on the case now!

Willie Gun, I will take your info on listing both SN numbers too.

Many Thanks!

Charles

I have my Father's rifles on my ticket.
After I got the neccessary variations, the old fellow wrote the rifles (and mods) onto my FAC, and we then each wrote to our own FLDs, copying in the other's FLD, advising them of the sort-of transfer and explaing what were were doing.
We had discussed this with the FLDs beforehand, as you had.

Apache,

Is it really that simple? I trust he would have to include my SN too.
Charles

SN is serial number of the gun. Never wrote certificate number as sent cert back. It is printed on the other cert that the rifle is borrowed from cert holder 1233456789. There is no mention on my cert that the gun can be borrowed

Ahh right ok, i see. Do you have to send the certificate back or can you write in the firearm and note that is jointly held, and send a covering letter explaining this?

I often have a friend to stay with me for stalking, when he comes he often brings a couple of rifles and when not in use would be stored in my cabinet. I spoke to my licensing manager and he added a note to my FAC that any firearms on .......... Ticket issued by lincs constabulary I could borrow and use. This kept me legal at all times. He has several firearms on his FAC including a revolver. It's simple and works, and they have been left with me on several occasions to save transporting to and fro.

Send a letter stating all the details of the firearms / moderators in question, stating that joint ownership is required this should be good enough for your fd. This is providing both parties have got the revelent firearms / conditions on there ticket hope this helps Steve

I have two rifles on my ticket that are owned by two other people

make sure you are very clear that you will have access to the rifle but no access to the owners storage and vice versa (i.e. your mae who leaves his rifle with you can't just pop round and pick it up without you)

Sharing rifle(s) is not an issue insofar as it is a very common situation. When the entry on the fac and notifications have been completed the police enter them on the National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS) as either the 'possessor' or the 'sharer(s)'. There is only one possessor but any number of sharers. This is for licensing admin purposes only and does not indicate actual ownership. The sharers should eventually get a condition 'borrow from time to time etc.' entered on their fac.

There is no issue with joint use or access.

My wife, my son and I all have identical FAC's and SGC's it was all done by letter and standard form for a grant on the initial grant of my wife's certs and again when my eldest son turned 14 and was granted his FAC & SGC.

I often have a friend to stay with me for stalking, when he comes he often brings a couple of rifles and when not in use would be stored in my cabinet. I spoke to my licensing manager and he added a note to my FAC that any firearms on .......... Ticket issued by lincs constabulary I could borrow and use. This kept me legal at all times. He has several firearms on his FAC including a revolver. It's simple and works, and they have been left with me on several occasions to save transporting to and fro.

whow mate thats not right by the way,,,,,, you cant get an open cert/letter stating you can borrow use anothers as you have stated. your licencing managers placed you in serious pooh.

p,

Thanks for the advice guys, letters have been posted and the relevant issues have been attended to!

Cheers guys

My son has all my rifles on his ticket(which is open) and he's in the next constabulary. He has authority to purchase and posess ammunition in quantities the same as me but he has no access to my gun cabinet where the guns and ammo are stored. He filled out a standard FAC application and put my address as to where the guns are kept.

Mark

There is no issue with joint use or access.

My wife, my son and I all have identical FAC's and SGC's it was all done by letter and standard form for a grant on the initial grant of my wife's certs and again when my eldest son turned 14 and was granted his FAC & SGC.

My wife and I have several rifles listed on both our FACs and there hasn't been a problem with this (in Suffolk). When we lived in Cambridgeshire, we had wording on our certificates allowing us to borrow each others rifles, but Suffolk prefer to list all of them on both certificates. Both ways certainly simplified security arrangements. One thing to be aware of is if one certificate holder is not allowed to use expanding bullets.

Andrew

Willie_gun, this advice,in my vew is spot on, concise, susinct, and accurate

Nice to see good advice, after reading some of the advice re: someone's ex on the SD

Sharing rifle(s) is not an issue insofar as it is a very common situation. When the entry on the fac and notifications have been completed the police enter them on the National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS) as either the 'possessor' or the 'sharer(s)'. There is only one possessor but any number of sharers. This is for licensing admin purposes only and does not indicate actual ownership. The sharers should eventually get a condition 'borrow from time to time etc.' entered on their fac.

Not heard of this but perhaps it comes down to where the rifle is stored?
As always, ownership and possession are not necessarily the same thing.

There are twins at the club who share their rifles; both have FAC's with the same rifles/conditions and the effective rights to possess. The only difference is one has a note saying rifles are stored at so-and-so address. Both are entitled to access as everything in the cabinet is on both tickets.

Sorry about the late reply Psstalking I wasn't following the thread.
The condition is on the FAC and not by letter so I don't see the problem. Why do you think he may have put me in the poo with the condition ?

Last edited:
My son and I "share" firearms, that is to say we both have permission to and do possess the same firearms. Our existing tickets are from neighbouring Scottish Police authorities. I'm not sure what happens, in this respect, on April fool's day... when all of our Scottish Police forces become one but I can't see why it should be any more of an issue than it is now, which is no issue at all.

Currently, our firearms are kept on my property as my (twenty something) son has been living in rented and often shared accomodation, which has changed quite frequently up till now as he has moved around, mainly in connection with work. So, we never really felt it appropriate for him to "hold" them. This situation will alter soon as he is currently trying to buy a house and will, doubtless, eventually wish to install gun cabinets in his own home. As far as I am aware no distinction has ever been made between us, in terms of where the guns are kept or might be kept. We have no "covering letters" and apart from the usual need to keep the Police informed of any change of our home address, this has all gone without hitch or complication.

Back