Insa Turbo Daka Tyres, Any good ?

lukejr175

Looking to put a set on my ford ranger, any one had thease tyres?
Or can anyone recomend a good tyre that dont cost the earth.

Thanks
Luke

I used to run remoulds on my landy, i did a lot of miles, they wear out fast. when I bought the new landy I went for branded tyres, they are sooo much cheaper. You spend £300 on a set of remould, and they last less than 15,000 miles. Spend £500 on some decent tyres and they last 40-50,000 miles. Per mile remoulds are expensive, twice the price of branded tyres in some cases. My landy has had 2 sets of tyres, it has done 90,000 miles from new, the first set were pirelli scorpion mud tyres and the second are Kumho kl71's the Kumho's probably have another 10k in them yet! Remoulds give a bone shakingly hard ride too.

Don't waste your money.

My Defender is on it's second set of Insa Turbo Dakar tyres. I was recommended these tyres by a mate who is into serious off road competitions. He uses the more agressive special track version. The Dakars are a 80/20 tyre with excellent traction properties. They are very quiet on road compared to some off road tyres and have good road manners driving at sensible speeds. They will not give you the life of say a BFG but at half the price they are good value. I have been stuck a couple of times but that was in serious mud, other than that these tyres will cope with hard off road conditions. My first set lasted about 35,000.

Just reading the other posts re tyre life. It has to be remembered that these tyres are designed as a 80/20 tyre. If their use is 80% on road and not 80% off road they will not last as long.

As Tom D said the remoulds look cheaper but you have to way up the tyre life. A set of BF Goodrich will cost more but I know alot of people who have had between 60000 - 100000 miles out of a set which then makes them alot cheaper than you remoulds.

Wayne

I once (only the once mind....) when living in East Africa bought a new 110 County station wagon.

Rather than the poncy alloys it came with steel wheels - and Michelin XZY (I think) tyres - regroovable truck tyres. I kept it three years at which point it had done 60k kilometres on some of the worst roads in the world. The tyres never had a puncture and had at least another 60k in them - brilliant.

I remember pricing them a while ago - they were over £200 a rim - but this may be worth it inthe end?

got Cooper discovery STs on the Trooper and the wife has a new set of Duellers the new patern on here Forester, the Coopers have done about 58,000 now and got about 6mm left on them.

luckily a Ranger and land rovers can't go where the Trooper can so you should be ok with the Insa's :D

I was thinking of putting dakars on my hilux. The BFGs (km2 MTs) that are on it haven't faired very well at all. I've only done 32k on them and they're pretty much done. At £150 a corner, I was expecting more.
The best tyres I ever had were cheap Chinese ones on a vitara, westlake I think, £35 each and I did 70k on them until the car died. They were only half worn!

Luke,

I had a set of 235 Dakars on a Landrover 90 and they were superb, used it for serious off road playing and they were only bettered by Special Tracks which are not very nice on the road.

Highly recommended.

Paul

Luke,

I have the Dakar on my 61 plate Ranger and the Desert pattern on my old Diesel Vitara. Cant fault them for the money.

4x4 tyres online are really helpful.

I have got the Insa special tracks on my discovery, they are brilliant off road, bloody noisy and rough on the road and would not last big mileages but if you are off road a lot they would take some beating.

Another vote for BFGs, we've used them on the Shogun and several Defenders over the years, but the A/T version not M/T. Lowest mileage we've had out of a set has been around the 80k mark. The rears on my 110 have done 47k on this Defender and about another 8k on the previous, the front have done many more (at least 15k more than the rear).

I'm thinking of replacing the front but largely because I've begun to destroy the side-walls from off-roading and at least one of them has a 4" nail in it...

Given the mileage that they cover then they work out ridiculously cheap, I've heard the MTs don't get as good mileage (but then you wouldn't expect them to). I would have said if you're using the vehicle >= 80% off road then got for some MTs otherwise the A/Ts from BFG are a great all-round and there have been very few situations I've been in where a better tyre would have helped out, most of the time it's the driver that's the issue...

I use General grabber A/T's , now done nearly 50,000 miles with them and they still have plenty tread left.

Back