off sticks

tony rentokil

I know its been discussed,but how do you practice off sticks.
I have tried all sorts and for the life of me, I am all over the shop,not so much bullet placement.
Its more a case of,not happy with me and the sight picture,moving around,seems like the longer you wait the worse it gets.
So how can practice help when,the whole process,feels so unstable?..

put gun on sticks, aim at said target and fire mate

if you **** around you will start to wobble all over the place

Get your stance right - one foot in front of the other, depending if you're a lefty or righty. Rifle in the right position in the sticks - so its not too close to the action or too close to the fore end. Then it's a matter of opinion here, I reach around (insert own joke) the sticks and grip the bit of stock in front of the sticks and make sure it's firmly tucked into my shoulder. Some find it easier to grip the sticks themselves. Either way you need to make sure it's tucked well into your shoulder and firmly sat in the sticks. Then your own take on waiting for he shot through the scope, but practise practise practise and you will get better!

Tom

I know its been discussed,but how do you practice off sticks.
I have tried all sorts and for the life of me, I am all over the shop,not so much bullet placement.
Its more a case of,not happy with me and the sight picture,moving around,seems like the longer you wait the worse it gets.
So how can practice help when,the whole process,feels so unstable?..

It's not me in the photo, but another Forum member with my 4 sticks. I try and practice from time to time. I use a target like the one below and generally try 2 prone with bipod, 2 off elbows, 2 sitting and 2 standing at 100yds or more. However, sometimes I just shoot standing with the 4 sticks and walk towards the target. Stop, take 2 shots and advance again, take 2 more shots and advance. In an ideal world I would practice every day, but work gets in the way. Another thing I have done is take the air rifle and just practice with it at about 20 yds or so. I've even tried the .22 off the sticks once or twice.

My current error is to set the sticks up too low for me.

Good luck. JCS

Last edited:
tony thats exactly what happens ,shooting off sticks practice the set up and shoot . the longer you wait the more you wobble so practice the shot set the sticks with the legs away from you hold the tops and push with your arm so everything is as stable as possible sort your breathing and squeeze the trigger when you are on target dont hang around as soon as crosshairs are right let it go and keep this practice up. you soon get the confidence and things build try this on paper till its natural. this should then convert to stalking but try not to be set too long waiting for a shot ,atb wayne
ps i do the same thing on every shot i take which is set the sticks so its comfortable acuire my target take my two breaths to steady, push the set trigger forward as i am about to release the safety and fire if the deer moves or is moving i just set up but dont set myself till it looks like its going to be on and if it moves i just relax back . the more you hang around trying to keep steady the more you move .

I have tied a length of cord to the top of the sticks, when you want to shoot stand on the cord and push the sticks away. It makes a lot of difference, then just practice.

2 sticks or four?

2 sticks, (IMO) you need to lean into the sticks or depending on location lean against a tree, fence, rock or failing that stand almost sideways to the sticks and tilt your hips away from the sticks lean into the hip furthest away from the sticks. (that make sense?)

I also dont panic too much about moving, so long as you are moving in a predictable manner either with breathing or swaying, you can still pull the trigger smoothly on a moving target (whether it is you moving or it!)

get the .22 out and go bash some bunnies at short range
does marvels for the stick confidence

Well although only been shooting CF rifles for a couple years. (so sorry if I'm too new to be giving advice) I was keen to get proficient off sticks. I start out at 40 or 50 yds on twin sticks with the scope set down at only 5 or 6 mag. Bang a couple of rounds in a target then move out 20 yds and so on out to 100 or 120 yds. Like the others say don't try and get clover leaf groups as it's more important to get a 2" group but get the shots off quick. Deer don't tend to stay still or hang around for long when your'e 40 -80 yds away. Then just keep practising. I try and practise every couple weeks if I've not been out on the real thing. ATB.

I agree with the other posts, don't look down the scope too long. Point in the right direction, look through the scope and pull the trigger. I find if I don't get it off quick you have your heart beat and everything else to contend with.

Is it a requirement to use sticks? I have never used them as we don't need them here.

It all depends on what stalking you do but for my type of stalking the foliage or crops are too high to use a bypod or even just flat ground so i have never used a bypod i started on day one using sticks i also find that bits of string or other aids take too long for roe stalking in woodland/forestry where the deer just step out in front you dont get long to shoot somtimes i dont even set the sticks its just used like a mono and rifle along side ,but to answer your question no they are not a requirement as such but are an advantage in alot of stalking unless you are stalking open hill people in other country shoot off hand and it is something i have been doing more at short distance ,atb wayne

My experience is you can practice until the cows come home and 365 days a year but depending on your nervous temperament things rather go out the window when attempting to do it for real – as in when a buck presents itself or subjecting to a competitive situation – read rifle club match.
So the only meaningful steer I can provide; mindful that practicing on the real thing is neither to be recommended nor DMQ L1 or 2 Best Practice, is that once you've mastered the mechanics of using sticks, is to join a club that engages in sporting rifle-like competition.
Nothing else comes close to subjecting one to the stresses of an in-the-field buck fever-like situation than knowing your “stalkers test” match score will appear in the next club news letter.
Trust me!
Cheers
K

Another one in favour of not thinking about it for too long. That will make you start to wobble. Personally I hold the tops of the sticks, but I suppose it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Are you using two sticks or three? I practiced alot with my rimfire for DSC1 with two sticks and was ok but since then I had a go on a tripod and found it much more stable.

i do mostly woodland stalking ,so i use sticks alot ,would like to use a bipod but the ground/terrain, undergrowth wont allow use
i place my sticks well infront of me [say 18in] ,mount the rifle in the sticks making shure ime on the stock and not on the barrel or sling stud [its OK to trap sling between sticks and stock just not sling stud]
pull stock back into shoulder making sure my left arm is locked out [right handed] left hand is cupping the intersection of sticks and stock in one grip/pinch [not touching the barrel] keep on target [stare the target out while squeezing trigger] do not anticipate rifle firing ,allow it to do its JOB and YOU do yours
most of the time my feet are just slightly wider than normal ,but as right handed my left foot is a foots length in front of my right
most shots of mine are taken within 20 sec of mounting ,if ime there for more than a min [awaiting shot ]i will pull my head from stock and relax while holding my stance with rifle mounted ,then as shot presents itself head on stock,pull back lock arm and and and fire ,THIS IS HOW I DO IT ,IME SURE ALLOT OF FOLK DO IT DIFFERENTLY ,AND MAY NOT AGREE WITH MY METHOD,hope this helps PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE:D

Last edited:
I shoot off two sticks for probably 80% of my deer. I am confident with them and have used them long enough that setting them up is second nature. This has come through practice.

My advice would be as far as stance is concerned be comfortable but STAND UP STRAIGHT! Don't hunch over or lean into the sticks as you will be off your balance.

Whatever you do, however you stand you will wobble. Who gives a ****? Anticipate it, accept it squeeze squeeze squeeze.

Be confident. I don't care what anyone says that is the all encompassing secret of shooting. If you aren't confident in yourself you will miss.

Above all, practice practice practice practice practice. At paper targets, coke cans, rabbits, squirrels, with your full bore rifle, with a rimfire, with an air gun. Practice practice practice until the motion of taking that rifle off your shoulder, setting up the sticks, acquiring the target accepting the wobble and squeezing the trigger are like second nature.

I reiterate what others have said, its simple really, practice with rabbits, practice and more practice. A 22 rifle will however handle and balance a lot differnetly to your stalking rifle though, but the principles are the same.

Experiment with stance, height, balance and grip, there is no right way. I started quite a few years ago with sticks (two sticks) and really doubted it at first and was all over the place, now I dont even notice them.

I do however know my limits with sticks and it is less (distance) than if I was more stable (bipod, fence post, etc), I probably dont shoot much more than 100-120 yards with sticks on a good day.

Cheers
JP

I would agree with most people, that you dont need to hold a rock stead point of aim for minutes, only the nano seconds before during and after the shot. I think dry fire practice is good. Walk along put up the sticks place rifle on them and dry fire and watch your cross hair. If it is still on the place that you intended to "shoot" then you are ok. Getting the timing right plays a big part in it. The weight of your trigger will come into it too. Your frame of mind needs to be positive. I use double sticks(B&Q green canes) I have used singles but didnt find them stable enough

Back