what kit

russ91

hi guys I'm new on here and new and am wanting to get into stalking when i get my fac sorted.

just a quick question. What kit do you take when you go out stalking?

hi russ91

i am also newish to the stalking scene ( 18mts ) what i take with me is as follows.
1/good quality quite waterproof,wind proof clothing
2/hat,gloves and face vail.
3/good quailty footwear
4/rucksack to inc
(a)knife (b)drag rope (c)para cord (d)plastic bags for offal (e) rubber gloves (f) small first aid kit (g) copy of FAC (h) water bottle and snack
(i) LED cap lamp and spare battries for it and IR on scope.
5/ mobile phone mine has GPS and landranger OS maps built in
6/ spare folding knife
7/ binos
8/ toilet pater and lense cloth
9/ spare ammo
10/ shooting stick
and most important of the all
11/ patience patience patience patience patience patience

this all packs down to nothing seems a lot but the weight is nothing. i hope this helps.......neil

Hi Russ,
Welcome to the site. :D I think that Griff has mentioned most things but it really depends on were you are stalking and what time of the year. Today I went stalking on the small patch of farmland I have.
I took:-
bino's, knife, rifle, ammo, Roe sack.
If I was stalking in Scotland I'd have taken alot more gear! If you are stalking with another stalker that you have been invited to stalk with or have paid to take you out, ask them what you will need. My first stalk the stalker told me, no army surplus gear, smart countrymans attire only! Its the same with your kit, snow shoes and distress flares are a bit much for Roe buck stalking in the New Forest in April. ;)

i hope you were wearing atleast a cammo thong mrB as you just out stalking with such little attire can't bear myself to think on ,
at least neil was properly dressed
welcome to the world of stalking russ
i usaualy kit out in
matching clothing (green) depending on conditions
belt
sharp knife and sharpener (spare in the motor)
decent boots or wellys depending on time of year and ground conditions
rifle and scope , atleast ten rounds of ammo
hat if sunny, gloves if cold
binos
sticks
mobile phone (just in case)
first aid kit in car
and a drink
but that is on flat arable ground of about 500-2000 acres
and of course an argo for exrtraction if lucky
sometimes i take a mate and make him drag it instead :lol:

An additional important piece of kit. A puffer container 3/4 filled with Johnson's Baby Powder. A shake, couple of puffs gives you indication of wind speed and direction.

morena said:
An additional important piece of kit. A puffer container 3/4 filled with Johnson's Baby Powder. A shake, couple of puffs gives you indication of wind speed and direction.

right chears mate

Does anyone wear knee pads? Would've been more comfortable on the last part of the stalk on Sunday... Gloves would have been good too, that ground was rocky and frozen. Or am I just being pathetic? :oops:

I am not in the same stalking league as a lot of you guys being involved in several other types of shooting on a daily basis. :D However there are a couple of things I take that I find very useful, one is a Hoselock pressure sprayer (used in greenhouses etc) holds a couple of pints of water, can be pressurised and the trigger fixed on, to deliver a spray to clean hands, and carcases if necessary. Insted of baby powder I use a childs bubble maker, this give a long distance indicator. Also it's bloody good fun if you get bored! :lol:

Mat said:
Does anyone wear knee pads? Would've been more comfortable on the last part of the stalk on Sunday... Gloves would have been good too, that ground was rocky and frozen. Or am I just being pathetic? :oops:

Knee pads no, :confused: gloves yes even in summer, a flash of white hands as you lift your bins will give the game away or a least get the deers attention.

Best rgds

B-b

Don't forget the essential coat pocket full of (non rustling) snacks.
I never leave home without them!!

All the best,
Gyr

Back