Hello from Shropshire

Van Helsing

You seem like a friendly bunch so here we go. I live near Telford and work in Kidderminster, Bromsgrove and Redditch. I shoot mostly deer, foxes and rabbits but will shoot anything else where I can get permission. I've been stalking for a couple of years so I'm not massively experienced. I've done the DSC 1 and I'm working towards DSC 2.
When I started out I was very lucky to be taken under the wing of a very experienced professional stalker. That's unfortunately come to an end now so I'm working hard to get some stalking ground of my own.
I use a .243 and .308 (plus a .17 and .22 for the small stuff).
I have a 7 year old rescue dog, Zoom, that I use for deer. He marks well and does a decent track for heart and lung runners but probably isn't up to wounded deer with little blood trail. I've just got a new pup - he's half whippet, quarter terrier, quarter lab and for the shooting I do he's about perfect. I'd appreciate any advice from experienced dog handlers as to how best bring him on. He's called Max.
My best stalking moment. There are two. I was stalking through a plantation and came across a fallow doe and fawn. She knew I was there but couldn't work out if I was a threat. I watched her for about 20 minutes and she came to within 10 yards of me. It was the buck season but I didn't care - my day was complete. The second was when I was asked to go looking for an injured fallow doe. Zoom suddenly zigged off the main ride. I followed him and within 30 yards we were on fresh slot marks. Another 50 and we bumped the doe. She'd been hit by a car. Her left hind leg was badly smashed and she was in poor shape. I shot her as she stood, too sick to run. That was a very emotional moment for me - man, dog, rifle and deer, it all made sense.
My worst stalking moment was listening to an experienced stalker explain why he'd gut-shot a muntjack. His cross hairs had swung from nose to tail and back again. He pulled the trigger somewhere in the middle because he'd "...not shot one for a while and wanted to get one under his belt."
It seems that I've met the minimum requirement for more than two lines of introduction and then some.
Regards,
VH.

inro

welcome to the site VH,im a newbie myself & im finding the site very useful,im not to far from you in malvern worcs,look forward to see how your getting on andy

Back