best calibre for woodland reds

jimmy 84

I have recently gained some stalking which will involve culling some red deer in Suffolk and I'm looking to buy a larger calibre as I do not feel comfortable using the 243 for these big deer. Any suggestions on the best calibre? I was leaning towards a .270 or .308. I dot home load and I like to find a round that works and stick to it.

Thanks in advance

270 or 308 both very capable and ammunition readily available every where, I like 270 but only personal pref. I may be corrected but I think 270 is better ballisticly but it would be splitting hairs.
Tusker.

I use .308 on the same deer, absolutely fine for them, although it still amazes me how far they can run, even with a perfectly placed shot.......whereabouts are they (roughly, not after specifics) I hope you're set up to deal with handling them, they certainly require some special equipment, I started out with an audi estate, soon spent quite a bit of money on expensive drag trays, pick up truck, electric winch......the list goes on, but oh what fun!
Atb
Andy

Shot placement is key! I've used my 6 1/2 with 120 grains with no problem and my .308 on some big reds. You seriously need to be geared up to deal with them! Shooting them is the easy bit, the hard work starts then!:doh:

Don't discount the trusted 6.5x55... 140gr will knock down anything that the UK has to offer and a nice flat shooting calibre.

.270 & .308 are more widespread however, so more choices of ammo and rifles

Cheers
i.

I have used .270, .308 and my biggest woodland stag was knocked down with a .243 and only managed 20 yards - I've no doubt that 6.5 x 55 and .30-06 and others are perfectly adequate with the right round - as others have said, it's all about bullet placement but you're not kidding that the work starts once the beast is down. :cry:

I would have thought that calibre wise .30" or larger would be very good. cartridge is another matter entirely but it's hard to beat the all round ease of the .308 Winchester cartridge. It propels bullets of up to 165 grains with enough velocity to satisfy most needs, it's easy to get hold of in most places, and it's not so inclined to make folks recoil shy.

However it has to be down to what you feel happy with and if that happens to be a a .29 Earspliten Louden Boomer then go for it :D.

Thanks for your replies.

I am geared up for them, I have access to a forklift so that should make easy work of it.

To be honest I'm leaning towards the .270 its looks as if it has a slightly flatter bullet path.

Forklift is fine, but can you get it to the dead deer........? Trust me, you aren't going to be moving a full grown stag by hand, even a short distance, even the big hinds will give you a run for your money!
been there, done that!

I would bet this last winter has been very difficult to extract big reds a mate I visit uses a 4x4 and trailer / winches +quad and had to call for matbro assistance once or twice when these got stuck .his larder was also overhauled to accommodate 300lb + carcasses they do grow big down your way
good luck
norma

Shot placement is key! I've used my 6 1/2 with 120 grains with no problem and my .308 on some big reds. You seriously need to be geared up to deal with them! Shooting them is the easy bit, the hard work starts then!:doh:

oh yes and dont i know it !

be bloody careful with your back , you only get 1 ! or even better get a teleporter

No need to worry about flat trajectory in woodland situation. TBH no need in most stalking situations. All you need know is 2 or 3 drop measurements or set POI at 1-1.5" high at 100 and you be spot on at any sensible range. Have fun with what ever you choose, an enviable position having red in woodland. ATB

Sorry I did mean teleporter and there will other people about and a lot of ropes.

The fallow bucks around here are hard enough to move on a good day so I wouldn't attempt to move one of these big reds unaided.

Thanks for your advise

I have recently gained some stalking which will involve culling some red deer in Suffolk and I'm looking to buy a larger calibre as I do not feel comfortable using the 243 for these big deer. Any suggestions on the best calibre? I was leaning towards a .270 or .308. I dot home load and I like to find a round that works and stick to it.

Thanks in advance

If you are doing Reds in Suffolk you can't be far away from me. I use a 7mm-08 and 6.5x55 and my other stalkers use .270, .30-06 (interestingly for you both these calibres use hand loaded ammunition which is downloaded) and 308. They'll all do the job nicely and my preference having used them all is 7mm-08 but try try them all out if you can and then choose.

As for getting them off the ground, that's when the work starts and this winter with all the water about has made it no easy task! Good luck!

Use the biggest rifle that you can shoot accurately. Almost anyone will manage a 308, 30/06, 270, 7x57 etc but many would be fine with a 7mm rm or 300 wm. the most vital thing is accuracy every time

Back