Choosing A New Rifle

Jim xyz

Hi All,

At the risk of starting another best calibre thread I currently have a 22.250 for foxes. I'm thinking of asking for a slot for a second rifle. Although I only shoot fox at the minute my permissions have deer on so my first thought is to ask for a 243 for deer and fox and to put a night sight on the 22.250 for foxes.

I know I'll need DSC 1 to put deer in to the food chain but I just want to get the slot and at the moment I only intend to take the odd deer for the farmer rather than supplying a game dealer.

Before I commit is there an obvious alternative to a 243 for Roe and fox?

I take that adding a 243 would be a variation to my existing FAC rather than a fresh application?

Many thanks,

Jim

What deer do you have? Looking at your location you may have some Sika? Tell us what deer you have and we can make an informed decision, although some will undoubtedly talk uninformed Bollox anyway! MS

Sorry Guys,

I've only seen Roe, and don't think I'll be travelling very far to seek out anything more exotic.

Cheers,

Jim

First question is are you going to reload? If no then 243 as ammo is very available. If yes then it opens up a whole heap of other calibres.

Second question is will you ever want to shoot bigger deer than roe? If yes then you may want to consider going bigger than 243 but many a large red has fallen to 243 so don't get to hung up on this. If you have boar then you will need a 30cal.

If you are not reloading go 243 and get one that feels right in the hand. If you are reloading you could consider 6.5mm as the next step (6.5x55 or 260rem).

tin hat on!

When I first started I applied for a .270win and some how got talked around to a .243 not by the FEO I might add but anyway it was the way I went, looking back now I think I'd may have saved a fortune if I had gone that extra step in the first place, I now have 7mm rem mag and 30-06 and very happy with both but wonder if I'd still be shooting a .270 if I'd gone that way, give yourself a bit of scope, I always found .243 marginal with out wanting to start a fight, just my opinion.

Hi All,

At the risk of starting another best calibre thread I currently have a 22.250 for foxes. I'm thinking of asking for a slot for a second rifle. Although I only shoot fox at the minute my permissions have deer on so my first thought is to ask for a 243 for deer and fox and to put a night sight on the 22.250 for foxes.

I know I'll need DSC 1 to put deer in to the food chain but I just want to get the slot and at the moment I only intend to take the odd deer for the farmer rather than supplying a game dealer.

Before I commit is there an obvious alternative to a 243 for Roe and fox?

I take that adding a 243 would be a variation to my existing FAC rather than a fresh application?

Many thanks,

Jim
why dont you read the thread is a 243 big enough, ther are 420 post on diffrent callibers and want best for what

I agree that you may be better going a bit larger than 243 as it is very close to your existing 22/250. A 6.5x55 or 25/06 would be ideal in one way as they can be justified for dual purpose fox and deer shooting according to ACPO guidelines. Otherwise if you want a great calibre that will do that is primarily for deer then 308 or 270 take an awful lot of beating.

You will always shoot far more foxes than deer, a friend has a 22.250 and would love to shoot deer but only shoots foxes....I use a .243 and shoot both. For me I would save the cash on the nite-site and add that money to your scope budget on the .243.
You have good reason to add an extra rifle, plenty of choices with a .243. I use 2 different weights and know what they do, out at where they go....
Good luck with your decision...

Tim.243

Jim.

The 243 will do everything you want and more . Its is one of the best foxing rounds there is , and has a range of pills that are superb for smaller deer.

For Fox shooting 55gr - 87gr varmint bullets are deadly - I prefer 70 / 75 grn bullets personally.

For Roe deer - 85gr -to 100 grn SP bullets will do the job

Another plus for the 243 is the choice of both new rifles and used guns is excellent , and selling them on is never too difficult due to their popularity

Ammo is readly available from any decent gunshop and there are always reloading components for sale if you roll your own.

There will be loads of advice - and these threads alway turn into an arms race - where bigger and more powerfull calibres are thrown in to the ring, and you end up with a 300 RUM for shooting fox and the odd roe. :rolleyes:

Remember what its uses will be.

ATB
Alan

Last edited:
I use my .243 for foxing and deer, saved me the expense of getting a two rifles for the two different types of quarry

Back