My First Stalk and First Roe Buck!

During my many years at university I worked in the kitchens of a local pub resturaunt. The landlord and my boss was a keen stalker and had a FC lease in Dumfries. For years he invited me stalking promising me I would love it. Anyway I constantly turned down his offers, untill last month (July).

Every year me and the boys go to loch lomond for the golf, again my boss made the offer, this time it worked out quite nicely as I would get two days in Dumfries before heading up to Loch Lomond for the golf. With it being on the way I could hardly say no!!

First evening out and we had stalked down from a logging path into a deer glade. We had been stalking for an hour or so and had seen nothing. The boss suggested I sit in while he went back to the car for something he had left. He left me sat with the wind in my face and my back to big bank of heather with a fine view of the glade. His instructions were 'dont f**k about if you see a buck get the gun up and go for heart/lung'.

I sat in waiting and watching as the forest went about is usual business around me. Approx. half an hour after a young Roe Buck just making six points walked out about thrty meters away. I couldnt believe it I had not heard a thing! Anyway with the blood now seriously pumping and the Buck looking in my direction I did not dare move. After a minute or so he dropped his head to feed only to lift it straight back up and have another good look at me. He did this a few times before finally settling and feeding properly. I saw my chance and with no time to move the sticks got the rifle up for a free hand shot. I let of the safety and started slowly putting some pressure on the trigger, I was suprised when the rifle went off an the Buck dropped on the spot.

On hearing the shot the boss and the dog returned, he said 'where is it?' expecting me to point off into the distance I said 'here' and pointed down at my feet. 'F**king hell mate did you shoot it or fix the bayonet?' came the sarcastic reply. When doing the gralloch turned out I had hit it exactly through the top of the heart!

I was made up and have been hooked since. Went back up this month, learning loads and lucky to have 'the boss' as such a good mentor/teacher. Booked my DSC1 and going to put the FAC in soon.

Cant believe I left it so long before going!!!

Well done, now you're hooked it'll be all downhill from here ! (or is that uphill !). Good to have a good mentor to get you started. Stick around on the forum and you'll get loads of help from some really good people.

Rocky

Well done on your first stalk. Great story and outcome. Like has been said, you will now be hooked and wanting to learn more, stick around this site and you will. ;)

wadas

Well done, may as well put the clubs on ebay now. Its so true we often put these things off instead of giving it a try, nice of your boss to keep the offer open too, congratulations. Tom

You know what they say about Golf!!! Its a good walk ruined :lol::lol:

Now you have been hooked I am sure its the beggining of many other times for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of deer and stalking, well done.

During my many years at university I worked in the kitchens of a local pub resturaunt. The landlord and my boss was a keen stalker and had a FC lease in Dumfries. For years he invited me stalking promising me I would love it. Anyway I constantly turned down his offers, untill last month (July).

Every year me and the boys go to loch lomond for the golf, again my boss made the offer, this time it worked out quite nicely as I would get two days in Dumfries before heading up to Loch Lomond for the golf. With it being on the way I could hardly say no!!

First evening out and we had stalked down from a logging path into a deer glade. We had been stalking for an hour or so and had seen nothing. The boss suggested I sit in while he went back to the car for something he had left. He left me sat with the wind in my face and my back to big bank of heather with a fine view of the glade. His instructions were 'dont f**k about if you see a buck get the gun up and go for heart/lung'.

I sat in waiting and watching as the forest went about is usual business around me. Approx. half an hour after a young Roe Buck just making six points walked out about thrty meters away. I couldnt believe it I had not heard a thing! Anyway with the blood now seriously pumping and the Buck looking in my direction I did not dare move. After a minute or so he dropped his head to feed only to lift it straight back up and have another good look at me. He did this a few times before finally settling and feeding properly. I saw my chance and with no time to move the sticks got the rifle up for a free hand shot. I let of the safety and started slowly putting some pressure on the trigger, I was suprised when the rifle went off an the Buck dropped on the spot.

On hearing the shot the boss and the dog returned, he said 'where is it?' expecting me to point off into the distance I said 'here' and pointed down at my feet. 'F**king hell mate did you shoot it or fix the bayonet?' came the sarcastic reply. When doing the gralloch turned out I had hit it exactly through the top of the heart!

I was made up and have been hooked since. Went back up this month, learning loads and lucky to have 'the boss' as such a good mentor/teacher. Booked my DSC1 and going to put the FAC in soon.

Cant believe I left it so long before going!!!

Well done, something we should all maybe consider encouraging someone who has never tried it to give it a go.

Back