tricky fox

evans

hi guys anybody in the south wales area with night vision set up cant help me out I got 2 lamp shy foxes coming into lambing fields I shoot on. farmer phoned me up at 6 tonight I was there by 630 set up fox pro played it for 5 mins fox turns up but keeps on trotting across field not once stopping for a shot gutted. need him gone asap.

thanks. evans

hi guys anybody in the south wales area with night vision set up cant help me out I got 2 lamp shy foxes coming into lambing fields I shoot on. farmer phoned me up at 6 tonight I was there by 630 set up fox pro played it for 5 mins fox turns up but keeps on trotting across field not once stopping for a shot gutted. need him gone asap.

thanks. evans
Sometimes a simple Cough or grunt can get them to stop for a few seconds for the shot.Did he turn and run like the wind when the lamp was on or just carry on trotting not paying attention to the lamp or you.
dave

Last edited:
i did cough as he was crossing field but he just kept goin slightly faster if anything lol. he just keep looking in my direction and moving when lamp was on him seen them same fox a few times now haven't shot at him tho so fingers crossed one night he mite just slip up

i did cough as he was crossing field but he just kept goin slightly faster if anything lol. he just keep looking in my direction and moving when lamp was on him seen them same fox a few times now haven't shot at him tho so fingers crossed one night he mite just slip up

we have several what wont stop up here but I shout fairly loud whistle, or if I'm in the truck honk the horn, but make sure you have the cross on the fox, because they only stop for a split second.

charlie

Put some bait out. If you scatter it widely in small pieces and/or smear some cat food on some pieces of wood in the relevant places, the fox will have to loiter in the area giving you a chance to deal with it.

Put some bait out. If you scatter it widely in small pieces and/or smear some cat food on some pieces of wood in the relevant places, the fox will have to loiter in the area giving you a chance to deal with it.
just been out now and bought a load of fishy cat food and tinned fish. after speaking with tony from this site today on the phone. plus farmer also phoned today asking did I get him last night I told him don't worry il get him in the next few days fingers crossed I do.

There's a chance he may be going home after being out all night, not interested in much if he has had a good night

my thought of action would be to do a recce with the rifle ( just in Casey) and see where he is coming from and to , I wouldn't place any bait on that trail leave it clear, place some bait across a ways and upwind of that trail in case it attracts him, sit out until dark and then come back in the morning to firstly sit up in a good spot for the oncoming shot, check the track and bait after ambush, after you have set yourself up in a position so he walks towards you, a shot should be on from that angle, re bait if required if no show and repeat next day - don't contaminate the track he uses you could spook him to another, keep an eye on the wind

good luck

phil

I like the bait approach ...too wet to tramp around the shoot so feed at a station consisting of a wire cage where I put carcasses and deer matter I've just had another tonight in the ad break .
norma

Thanks for the input guys next dry night il b out with some stinky bait fingers crossed i nail him

Do you know where the earth is? Get the terriers in!
I got my own terriers I work all the earths in the area this fox is coming off common land and into farm land I was out yest evening sitting up in truck with bait out but no show got to dark so I left it. be back there Thursday night again for a look.

No still after him i have shot a few on this farm so far this season but theres always one tricky bugger to deal with around lambing time i wont give up till i get him tho

hi evans, get yourself some night vision for next season. well worth it. try make yourself some baiting stations. i have one in a very open field. theres a single large tree and a large flat rock beneath, i put old rabbit guts and skins under the rock and foxes have to scrape them out. they love rabbit bones and feral pigeons...

hi evans, get yourself some night vision for next season. well worth it. try make yourself some baiting stations. i have one in a very open field. theres a single large tree and a large flat rock beneath, i put old rabbit guts and skins under the rock and foxes have to scrape them out. they love rabbit bones and feral pigeons...

looking to do a deal on some nv this week not cheap but buy once buy wright I thought. mate I go with has cracking set up I spot he shoots its pvs 14 for spotting and envis add on for shooting. seeing foxes out to over 300 yards easy

Back