Viht n140 and 65gr vmax.

Ted47

happy new year to you.

does anyone have .243 load data on Viht n140 and 65 gr Vmax, i dont have a hornady manual , and my Viht 10th edition doesn't either.

cheers leon

Hi Leon
Hornady suggests a starting load of 35.9 grains of N140 @ 3100fps.
and a max of 42.3 for 3600 fps
Any help?
Ed

I use 41.7gr of N140 and it gives 3390fps out of a 20" 1 in 10 Border barrel on a T3. Does .3's when I'm having a good day.

It's my windy night foxing round.

George

hi leon im new on this site , but im using 44grains of n140 under the 65 grain vmax my rifle is a remington model 7 in .243 with a 1 in 9 1/8 twist velocity was around 3640 when put over my friends chrono
and a friend of mine is using 48grains of h414 with the 65g vmax also in his preditor rifle hope this helps you

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. I used to use h414, a good versatile powder.

Did you have any signs of high pressure with your loads? Where did you get your load data from?

Cheers Leon

happy new year to you.

does anyone have .243 load data on Viht n140 and 65 gr Vmax, i dont have a hornady manual , and my Viht 10th edition doesn't either.

cheers leon

Hi Leon.
Hope you are well. Let me know if you want a min/mid/max load from quickload software to get you started.
iain.

hi leon i didnt notice any obvious signs of preasure but my friend has been using the h414 load since he got his preditor rifle and has had no problems either
i got the 414 load off a data sheet i have and the vit n140 was off an online load data sheet
but i guess your rifle may shoot the loads differently depending on the length of your barrell and the twist rate in your rifle

I meant with your loads, n140. Your nearly 2g over recommended maximum load according to eds data from hornady?
The h414 was fine, but hard to get.

Leon

Leon, I have sent you Quickload data for 65gr and 75gr vmax using viht N140 that you asked for. Just remember that while I personally find it very accurate and it will certainly reduce load development time, it is still a model and there is NO substitute for actually shooting your boom stick !! Hope this helps.
Iain

Wouldn't mind a look at that myself - if you wouldn't mind
Thanks
ED

Leon, I have sent you Quickload data for 65gr and 75gr vmax using viht N140 that you asked for. Just remember that while I personally find it very accurate and it will certainly reduce load development time, it is still a model and there is NO substitute for actually shooting your boom stick !! Hope this helps.
Iain

Billy.
For 75gr 243 vmax using factory col and viht n140.

Min 37.6gr. 3038fps. 1537 ft-lbs
med 38.6gr. 3102fps. 1603 ft-lbs
max 39.4gr. 3152fps. 1654 ft-lbs

suggest starting at med point and if no pressure signs develop loads from there. As above this is a model and use real shooting to gage results.
Hope it helps.
Iain.

hi leon ,, i guess im able to use 2 grains over the max load due to my rifle having a short barrel and the preasure is not as high , i been using this load for around a year or so now and ive had no problems with it , what you have to bear in mind is what barrel lenght they are using to work up the load and also the rifle twist aswell which play a lot in working up a load
but i guess everyone will have their doubts about certain loads in rifles and different calibers also
im not saying this load will suit everyone elses rifle , but works well in my remington model 7
but it will be up to the individual if they want t o copy the load or do as they recomend work up to your own maximum load
which will be safer for them
im just saying what works well in my .243 as a fox round ,, ive only just got my .223 aswell so will have to find what is best powder load for that also
with a 52grain bullet

Billy.
For 75gr 243 vmax using factory col and viht n140.

Min 37.6gr. 3038fps. 1537 ft-lbs
med 38.6gr. 3102fps. 1603 ft-lbs
max 39.4gr. 3152fps. 1654 ft-lbs

suggest starting at med point and if no pressure signs develop loads from there. As above this is a model and use real shooting to gage results.
Hope it helps.
Iain.

Cheers Iain ,I'd loaded some last week and went for a happy medium between listed loads so have 5 rounds loaded at 38gr loaded waiting for this weather to break so I'm not far off . Cheers

Cheers Iain ,I'd loaded some last week and went for a happy medium between listed loads so have 5 rounds loaded at 38gr loaded waiting for this weather to break so I'm not far off . Cheers

The weather is a bit of a pain at the moment, been off work 2 weeks for Christmas and only got out once for testing loads. Back to work tomorrow, might have to throw a few sickies if the weather improves!

hi leon ,, i guess im able to use 2 grains over the max load due to my rifle having a short barrel and the preasure is not as high , i been using this load for around a year or so now and ive had no problems with it , what you have to bear in mind is what barrel lenght they are using to work up the load and also the rifle twist aswell which play a lot in working up a load
but i guess everyone will have their doubts about certain loads in rifles and different calibers also
im not saying this load will suit everyone elses rifle , but works well in my remington model 7
but it will be up to the individual if they want t o copy the load or do as they recomend work up to your own maximum load
which will be safer for them
im just saying what works well in my .243 as a fox round ,, ive only just got my .223 aswell so will have to find what is best powder load for that also
with a 52grain bullet
I was just wondering as some data contradicts another's, what length barrel are you using out of interest?
Leon

Iain
Thanks again Iain, will be in touch about more bullets and powder.

Leon.

Back