Can you help?

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Below is a copy of a request we received from an undergraduate at Cambridge. You could view it as an opportunity to help spread the word that we are not lunatics.

John

Dear Stalking Directory,

To introduce myself I am an undergraduate studying Geography at the University of Cambridge. I am conducting research for my final year dissertation on the motivations of deer stalkers (full summary below) and am writing to see if yourselves and the members of the Stalking Directory could offer some assistance.

More specifically I have created a questionnaire accessible via the link below and was wondering if you might be able to forward the link to your members in the hope that as many as possible will fill it in. It is relatively short and should take no less more than 15 minutes to fill in. If you can't send it out yourselves which forum would you suggest is best for posting it?

The link is:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Tp...U9XklRykQ/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have and any assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Simon Armstrong

Based on direct first hand experience of Cambridge Geography students, I'm going to hazard a guess that he is likely to already be on 'our side'.

Last edited:
Soon as it asked about academic qualifications I decided its not for me.

That just goes and skews the data. Imagine if only highly qualified recreational stalkers filled in the survey and it gets published. Turns out people are all willing to pay lots of money and just want to shoot big stags....

It's no different to asking if you are male or female.

filled it in ,no harm done .i aint no rocket scientist so what.my job pays for my hobbies and i enjoy deerstalking no ones bothered wot i got a Phd or Pmt

Done. If it helps to normalise what we do and shake any perception amongst the public that we are all blood-soaked gun toting desperadoes roaming the countryside just looking for something to kill, then I'll regard that as 5 minutes well spent.

Merlin

Based on direct first hand experience of Cambridge Geography students, I'm going to hazard a guess that he is likely to already be on 'our side'.

Because I have not got anything on the list I was to busy getting blood on my elbow,s :scared:

That just goes and skews the data. Imagine if only highly qualified recreational stalkers filled in the survey and it gets published. Turns out people are all willing to pay lots of money and just want to shoot big stags....

It's no different to asking if you are male or female.

mmm, yes well ,,, willing to pay lots of money ''yes'' highly qualified ,, doubt that :)

im with you

I don't think this is any kind of prejudice, I think it is just trying to work out the profile of the majority of stalkers. Jayb, would it be possible to ask the student to explain why the question is asked, as it clearly is causing a problem for some members. It would be a shame if the results were skewed for the sake of an explanation of what that part of the questionaire is trying to acheive?

ES

I don't think this is any kind of prejudice, I think it is just trying to work out the profile of the majority of stalkers. Jayb, would it be possible to ask the student to explain why the question is asked, as it clearly is causing a problem for some members. It would be a shame if the results were skewed for the sake of an explanation of what that part of the questionaire is trying to acheive?

ES

I agree.

I read plenty on this site about the difference between paper qualifications vs experience, so it would be a great shame if some of the little empirical analysis actually carried out on the stalking community ended up being skewed towards the former. Though I doubt it would result in higher prices being charged for stalking, I do think it would encourage the idea of stalking being viewed as somehow "elitist", when the majority of deer stalking is carried out by people from across both the social and economic spectrum. At least that's my belief, though of course I can't site any research to support this view!

It would be a shame if this happened for the sake of two questions on the form. Perhaps it would have been better to include the option of "rather not say" for academic qualifications in the same way as it appears for category of secondary education?

im with you

If there is any prejudice then it is the same for “male/female” and “what age bracket” which I assume you answered without worrying? It is often very interesting to draw out what demographic partakes in a particular activity. What struck me was there was no geographic questions. I would like to see a map of stalker population by area both defining resident county and county/ies stalked in.

I would like to see a map of stalker population by area both defining resident county and county/ies stalked in.

Well I think you'd find a big divide between urban and rural inhabitants, but also a big flow from cities to Scotland.
Anyway, done, although I may have waxed a bit more lyrical than intended.

Back