What barrel thread on tikka t3 .223

It should be m14 unless it's a varmint in which case it will be m18

failing that if it's been aftermarket screw cut who knows what it is

Get a ruler and measure the diameter of the thread and the length of the threaded area. Then count how many threads there are.
That should be enough info to work out what thread it is.

Cheers

Bruce

Get a ruler and measure the diameter of the thread and the length of the threaded area. Then count how many threads there are.
That should be enough info to work out what thread it is.

Cheers

Bruce

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! & possibly dangerous Bruce! You shouldn't advise people to try & measure a thread that way - especially in such a highly stressed application as a moderator thread.

To the original poster please take either the rifle & / or the moderator to a competent engineer or gunsmith & get it measured properly. Don't assume anything the rifle & old moderator could have got a non-standard thread on it - measure it & be sure!

Sorry to be a bit blunt on this one folks but bad advice should be corrected.

Ian

It sounds like it could be 1/2" unf. I have an early T3 that must have been threaded over here with this thread.

What a lot of safety nonsense has been spouted in a previous thread. There's no harm in measuring the thread yourself - a vernier caliper makes it easier. A 1/2" thread will measure 12.7mm outer diameter and there should be 10 threads over a 12.7mm length (20 threads per inch).

There's nothing unsafe about measuring your threads - the correct mod will either screw on easily or not fit.

It sounds like it could be 1/2" unf. I have an early T3 that must have been threaded over here with this thread.

What a lot of safety nonsense has been spouted in a previous thread. There's no harm in measuring the thread yourself - a vernier caliper makes it easier. A 1/2" thread will measure 12.7mm outer diameter and there should be 10 threads over a 12.7mm length (20 threads per inch).

There's nothing unsafe about measuring your threads - the correct mod will either screw on easily or not fit.
Got a hold of some calipers. Seems it's a 1/2 unf.
cheers takbok
found a good web page that explains how to find out using calipers

My point was that measuring a thread diameter with a ruler is simply not good enough to do a proper job. - Get it wrong & there are safety issues.
To avoid any possibility of measurement error, vernir or micrometer for the diameter & thread pitch gauges for the pitch is the minimum requirement. There are of course other measurement options. I'll not bother listing all the standard threads I know that are around 1/2" - never mind the ones invented by some folks when making something "fit".

Ian

My point was that measuring a thread diameter with a ruler is simply not good enough to do a proper job. - Get it wrong & there are safety issues.
To avoid any possibility of measurement error, vernir or micrometer for the diameter & thread pitch gauges for the pitch is the minimum requirement. There are of course other measurement options. I'll not bother listing all the standard threads I know that are around 1/2" - never mind the ones invented by some folks when making something "fit".

Ian

I see where you're coming from. Apologies for my post being a bit rude.

Back