Any opinions on a Savage 11 in .308?

Shootist

As above really. I like Savage rifles but I don't know this model. The main attraction is that I can get one on a left hander for a good price and, like I say, I like Savage rifles.

As above really. I like Savage rifles but I don't know this model. The main attraction is that I can get one on a left hander for a good price and, like I say, I like Savage rifles.
I have the Savage Long Range Hunter which I believe is a variation of the model 11. It is a super accurate rifle. Smooth on the bolt and feeds reliably at any cyclic speed. With my handloads it shoots as well as I can hold it. A half MOA gun for sure.~Muir

Great no frills rifle. The model "11" denotes the standard short (ie 308 length) action, basically the current version of the old model 10. The model often has a few letters after the number to denote some of the specific packages and configurations. Like most savages, expect accuracy, reliability, durability....don't expect elegance, showroom finish, or a stock you want to show off to your friends (for most models). 6 savages over the years, all including the ugliest one did better than an inch at 100 yards, some much better. The long range 223 I have is an incredible shooter. Assuming it is in tidy shape and a configuration that suits you, as a Savage enthusiast I expect you'd be pleased to have it in your quiver. I am assuming it has an accutrigger which is a known entity and nice factory trigger.

Another Savage fan here. I have two 12's, both stunningly accurate.
I like the barrel locknut system, the supposedly heavy bolt lift can be improved with a simple mod. Rifle Basic do a good after market trigger if you don't like the accutrigger.

I've heard Savage rifles are a bit of a lottery quality control wise.
I have no personal experience though apart from a go with a friend's Savage LRP in 260 Rem which i quite fancy.

Shot a couple of 22.50s Savage models one was a weather warrior and another older model. Accurate as an accurate thing.

The warrior is now owned by an SD member and he shoots a few deer.

Back