DPT vs HARDY which one ?

liongeorge

I'm in the market for a lightweight moderator as have just got rid of my Northstar (very good mod but too heavy for me). I already have a Hardy gen 4 in .30 cal I share between my .243 and 30-06 it's not very quiet on either , but lovely and light.

So I think I have narrowed things down to the Hardy gen 5 or the DPT. Now is the Hardy 5 quieter than the Hardy 4 particularly in the correct calibre? (it's for the 243). Also how does it perform compared with the DPT? The Hardy i very slightly heavier than the DPT but a bit shorter.
Price wise the DPT has it at £255 ...£50 cheaper than the Hardy.

I am leaning toward the DPT. Would love to hear from someone who has tried them both.

ATB George

Your Hardy mk4 will have porting milled into the muzzle end to act as a muzzle break and deflect some of the gasses outwards. This is what tended to make the Hardy mods sound louder. The Mk5 looks the same but the milling on the muzzle is only aesthetic, it doesn't go right through to the expansion chamber and therefore doesn't act as a muzzle break. The mk5 should sound quieter than the mk4.

I have no experience of the DPT but have had a mk5 Hardy on my 30-06 for a year and can't fault it.

Hope this helps.

I had a Hardy 4 on my 243 and you're right, they're not very quiet.
I now have a DPT on my 243 and 22-250 and they are much quieter.
However the Hardy was a 30 cal and the DPTs are calibre specific and I think that makes a bit of difference.

Cheers

Bruce

We sell more Hardys than DPT, personally I prefer the DPT, due to balance, not much difference in sound, Some customers also like the ability to fit the stainless baffle in the DPT.

We sell more Hardys than DPT, personally I prefer the DPT, due to balance, not much difference in sound, Some customers also like the ability to fit the stainless baffle in the DPT.
And you can buy extra DPT baffles(of any calibre up to 30-06) without having to enter them on your FAC. I have 8(max is 10) baffles on my over-barrel .223 DPT and the muzzle noise is virtually zero, according to bystanders.

I have used both on the 243, the DPT takes my vote in standard format, add a couple of baffles and its quieter that any mod I have heard and I've seen a lot used up here.

I now have 3 DPT, one on my .204, my .223 and my 6.5 creedmoor. They are super lightweight, extremely quiet, Strip-able and beautifully made.

Last edited:
I have both , dpt on my .270 and hardy gen5 on my .243 all good moderators and do the job well,,,,, toss a coin,,, dpt can strip down but as I say both good kit. I also have a wildcat evo on my .223 an a atec hertz on the .222.,,, worth looking at.

Last edited:
Had a chat with the bloke from DPT, extra baffles are £30 each only adding 25g and 17mm each. Think I'll get a couple of extra and see how it goes, apparently it may not effect POI at all adding and removing a couple but experimentation will see. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it. Just waiting for FAC to return but shouldn't be long as it's Wilts.

I've got both Hardy in 25-06 and DPT in 7mmRM, both supress sound well but its difficult to say which is better because of the differing rifle characteristics. Both are well built and the DPT has a lifetime guarantee. However the DPT is lighter and I am more comfortable with it, may try it on 25-06 and see if it works.

Back