Anti Clockwise

Mannlicher_Stu

Can anyone shed a light or reason why roe deer run anti clockwise around the rutting circle and never clockwise.

Sensible answers or views please

Stu

I imagine they are predominantly right sided??

I notice my dogs both favour one lead canter when they are running; the lab strikes off with his right and my lurcher with her left.

Dave

having said that roe are renowned to do afigure of 8 in the rut which will mean a clockwise circle folowed by an anticlockwise circle. I seam to remember from one of Richard Priors books that he states they tend to be quite ambidextrous so I might have just blown my comment above out of the water.

Dave

A northern hemisphere thing.

Weather systems, tornados and water down plugholes all rotate anti-clockwise up here - as does the earth itself (if viewed from a point directly above the north pole).

Or to put it another way:

Conservation of gravitational energy. The force of gravity causes force towards the center of the earth and the "curl conservation force" points away from the center

0=dV/dt + cDelxV + R' cDel.V, the curl DelxV is the counter force circulating anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere. R' is the radial unit vector.

Roe have obviously studied this! :D (or are susceptible to it's effect). See also Coriolis Effect.

Last edited:
That's a right Puzzler! Have never given that a thaught, will be interesting to see the answers you recieve.

Rgds. Buck.

A northern hemisphere thing.

Weather systems, tornados and water down plugholes all rotate anti-clockwise up here - as does the earth itself (if viewed from a point directly above the north pole).

Or to put it another way:

Conservation of gravitational energy. The force of gravity causes force towards the center of the earth and the "curl conservation force" points away from the center

0=dV/dt + cDelxV + R' cDel.V, the curl DelxV is the counter force circulating anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere. R' is the radial unit vector.

Roe have obviously studied this! :D (or are susceptible to it's effect). See also Coriolis Effect.

Blimey thats a bit eyebrow isnt it:)

i've watched them do both !Could they be responsible for all those crop circles we hear about :lol:

Roe are fundamentally apolitical, but they do tend to lean a bit to the right...:coat:

If it was down to the Coriolis effect then surely they would always run to the right, regardless of whether they had been shot.

Apparently, most humans will automatically veer to the left in similar(?) circumstances, as experienced by fighter pilots in WW2. Just be grateful the Nazis didn't train roe to fly Messerschmitts!

Last edited:
maybe they have slightly shorter left legs therefore naturally leaning to the left , i have heard similar views about the haggis in scotland maybe they are genetically linked , i think it is something that maybe needs a more detailed look . my sister is left handed and it has to be said not very bright (judgeing by the partner she has ) maybe left running , left handedness are all linked
just a thought

ps i also struggle with sensible:D

6.5x55

First time i have heard this but its very untrue.They very often do both ways on the same ring.I have a clip on Youtube that shows them doing both and have seen them running rings clockwise plenty of times.

Back