Adding Fibre to Dogs food

Eyefor

My dog (3 1/2 year old cocker bitch) is wheat intolerant and is on a (dry) salmon & potato food which she loves, gives her loads of energy and her coat looks great but I have to add fibre because she has had trouble with her anal glands.

The fibre I have been using is Pro Fibre

Protexin Pro-Fibre for Dogs 500 g: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

which definitely helps but I would like know if there is a source of wet (non wheat) fibre that I can add to her food so she is not just eating 100% dry food.

I have thought about mixing the dry food 50 / 50 with a frozen salmon food like this

Alaska Dog Salmon - 0.8kg

plus the Pro Fibre - but that seems a bit of a faff?

Alternatively do I just add water to the existing food + Pro Fibre mix?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rice cooked in meat stock made from bones or normal rice then add cheap mince beef or bruised bloody venison Have you tried the barf diet seems to sort most diet issues
Jake

have you tried just raw meaty bones added? Mine is on Akela dry mix and has bones daily. Dry crumbly poo that that keeps the glands clear.

I would stay clear of rice, not ideal for carnivorors. Regular fresh bones will firm the stools as nun hunter said.

If her stools are firm, that shoud be all that is needed to allow the glands to empty normally. Classisc thiking was to make the stools firmer (or bigger with fibre) to aid emptying

While anal glands can cause problems, if her symptoms are the classic scooting, then it could be just just has an itchy backside and paying closer attention to flea control will produce better results.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try some raw meaty bones.

If you're concerned about giving her proper bones, I give my pair duck necks (meat still on) a few times a week. Soft bone they can easily chew and comes out the following day in a nice firm compact stool.

Too bulk up food without causing weight gain my vet years ago suggested dried flaked maize which I used, all through my 3 working springers lives, quite successfully. I bought it in large sacks very cheaply from my local farmers merchants. Worth considering? Cheers Jerry

Raw chicken carcass ( mostly de fleshed) or the boxes of chicken wings from supermarket as the bone to meat ratio is good

If her stools are firm, that should be all that is needed to allow the glands to empty normally. Classic thinking was to make the stools firmer (or bigger with fibre) to aid emptying

While anal glands can cause problems, if her symptoms are the classic scooting, then it could be just just has an itchy backside and paying closer attention to flea control will produce better results.

Her stools are firm - but she occasionally gets "fish breath" (where she is licking her back end) and I have to purge the anal glands in to paper towels maybe once every 6 weeks (which stinks!!!). No scooting and she is monthly flea treated using (purchased from the Vet) Andvantix.

Too bulk up food without causing weight gain my vet years ago suggested dried flaked maize which I used, all through my 3 working springers lives, quite successfully. I bought it in large sacks very cheaply from my local farmers merchants. Worth considering? Cheers Jerry

Unfortunately she is wheat intolerant so I'd prefer to stay away from grain (maize / bran) products.

Raw chicken carcass ( mostly de fleshed) or the boxes of chicken wings from supermarket as the bone to meat ratio is good

I thought dogs were not supposed to be fed chicken bones?

Separately, this afternoon I got a bag of (free!) small / cut bones from my local butcher and she has enjoyed some of those with her dinner - so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Many thanks for all replies.

Her stools are firm - but she occasionally gets "fish breath" (where she is licking her back end) and I have to purge the anal glands in to paper towels maybe once every 6 weeks (which stinks!!!). No scooting and she is monthly flea treated using (purchased from the Vet) Andvantix.

If there's no symptoms other than breath, I'd leave well alone

Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try some raw meaty bones.

See if you can find a proper butcher who has a bandsaw, I give my labs a whole beef leg bone cut into about 8 pieces a week between them and their poo is good and healthy, they do well on it. The bone costs just a couple of pounds and no faffing about.

ATB WB

As has been mentioned, broccoli and carrot are good if you want to go down that route, or sweet potatoes are relatively high in fibre.

Back