.410 advice for teaching the mrs & kids please

stratts

Morning chaps,
Just wondering if a .410 single barrel shotgun would be the ideal gun to let the mrs have a go at shooting some clays, and then eventually teaching my boys how to shoot?

I've seen a Cooey (which I've never heard of) on gunwatch in very good condition for £60 and thought it might fit the bill.

Any thoughts please as I'm not into shotguns too much,

Cheers

Stratts

I would go 28 or 20 bore with light loads. Not easy to hit clays with a 410 as there isn't much lead in the air!!

Ah ok thanks mate I wasn't sure about the amount of recoil on the other calibres. Also don't want to spend a wedge of money as I've got a new scope to buy for my .308, lol!!

I would go 28 or 20 bore with light loads. Not easy to hit clays with a 410 as there isn't much lead in the air!!
Yep, what he said, although the 20 would be my choice. There are a good few junior size versions out there now (Lincoln,Webley, Yildiz)but the impotrant bit is the load. 21 gram is readily available and still throws a good pattern. .410's and 28's are very capable calibres in the right hands, but they will be very disheartening for beginners who won't hit very much! I would also avoid getting a semi-auto. They may be light but I've seen some horrific safety issues with them and novices! Small over and under 20 bore with a 21gram 8 shot load would be my ideal solution.
MS

Thanks MS sounds like a plan. I'm over your neck of the woods at Occold on Wed, do you know of any cheapies going I could look at while there?

I'll chuck up a wanted ad too, to see what's about,

Cheers

Buy an old single barrel Baikal etc and use 21gr cartridges. Much better results and cheap to feed

For clays a .410 would be useless but on rabbit and feral pigeons around the farm a .410 will be rewarding. A 28 or 20 will hit more and kill anything a 12 can without the weight and recoil. A Cooey will come in handy around Christmas time as a poker for turning the Yule log over.

A lot will depend on the size of kids. Most 20 bores now weigh around 6 to 6.5lbs, whereas most single 410's are at the 4lb mark. This makes a big difference for smaller kids and small adults. Yes they are more difficult to hit with, but provided you have nice large slow incoming clays then a 410 will hit more than enough to keep them interested. My daughter will continue with a single barreled 410, for the very simple reason that she shoots well with it, and if she goes to a bigger gun, she will make her father's shooting look some what suspect!

With youngsters keeping them interested - don't discount putting clays out on the gruond or even better balloons filled with water etc.

My missus has a double barrel .410 chambered for 3 inch cartridges. It's by far the most used shotgun in our cabinet.

I started on a .410 for rough shooting and clays
not a problem, you learn pretty quickly and in my opinion become a lot more accurate.
clays will break with just a couple of pellets, you don't need ounce and half of lead to smash them.

just match your choice of shotgun to sensible clay presentation.
you family will get a bit bored if they are being asked to hit 40yd high pheasants with a 410.

clay presentation is the way to start and also builds confidence.

A nice floater coming towards them and then gradually increase angle and distance

Unless I am wildfowling or shooting high driven phaesant, the gun that comes out of the cabinet is an old double 410 with 2 1/2 chambers. I don't feel under gunned, I have shot duck and phaesant with it at normal ranges, and if you hit them they are dead - but the pattern is smaller so it is very much a clean hit or clean miss. I particularly love it for walked up days where the walking is a big part - 4 1/2lbs and enough cartridges fit in a trouser pocket rather than having to carry in cartridge belt etc. don't discount the 410 -they are deadly.

+1

For men taking up shotgun shooting I'd always recommend a 12g with light loads, but for children and lightly-built ladies a .410 is often the best choice. It is important, however, to start training novices on static targets or easy thrown clays to build confidence as they develop their gun handling skills. As Monkey Spanker says above, single- or double-barrelled fixed-breech guns are also preferable to pumps or semis because they're simple to operate and easier to show clear, making it easy to supervise and to teach safe handling.

..just match your choice of shotgun to sensible clay presentation.
you family will get a bit bored if they are being asked to hit 40yd high pheasants with a 410.

clay presentation is the way to start and also builds confidence...
​+1, spot on.

I currently own 41o 28 bore 20 bore and twelve for instruction purposes
the gun used most with ladies and children is the 28 bobore
it also doubles as a fantastic fun gun on small driven days
​regards pete

A 410 is ok for young kids with the right target simple hanging incomer if they struggle with weight the cooey is a heavy 410 as is the bikal make sure any 410 has open choke ie 1/4 not the normal extra full.

A 28 or 20 are better if your on a budget look for a single 20 bore most wife's need a short stock as do kids so you won't feel to gutted cutting it down. If you can get 20 on a true 20 bore action in ou that's the best bet again open chokes makes them hit more and feel better.

Cartridge loads keep it sensible max of 24g in 12 bore 21g 20 bore 19g 28 bore and 14 in a 410 reduces recoil and they leave happier.

What age group are you looking for?? I had my first 9mm garden gun at just 4 (just for scaring pigeons up whilst out with me Dad) then moved on to a cheap little investarm 20 bore around 9-10 yrs old. the recoil was excessive and put me off for a bit. didnt take long until i moved on to real light loads in an over/under 12g baikal.

A 410 is a good all round choice. We shoot clays with one for a laugh every now and again, mainly incoming skeet.

A mate of mine purchased a £50 single barrel 410 (god knows who made it) for his nephew. The stock has been shortened but is still to big for him. I believe he may be 5? So we put him a couple of clays on the bank and let his fire at stationary targets and he loved it!

You'll be surprised what you can shoot with a 410!

Back