Forestry Commision target

rodkayak

Does anyone have a link to this target. I have to do a test prior to a stalking trip. I know it is three rounds from the bench at 100 M. Do I have to get them all in a 4 inch circle? What grouping is needed please. My 6.5 x 55 is sighted in at 200 m with 120 Barnes and I am reluctant to reset the zero. The ranger says that he zeros in at 50 m with his 270.

Been a few years since i done mine, if i can mind right was it not 2/3 shot group at a round target at 100m, then groups of 2 shots at 100,70,50m at a black silloutte deer target. So u can't see where ur 4" target is, but obviously in the kill area.

As long as u know the drop at 100, 70, 50m. (I take it u don't often shoot deer sub 100m with a 200 zero?)
If the ranger is zeroing at 50m could that not be his 1st zero as bullet is rising over the sight line, he will probably have his 2nd zero out towards 200m somewhere.
Many calibres have the 1st zero in around 30ish m when zeroing around 100m, dependiing on calibre and scope mounts etc

STALKF2A%20-%20Grouping%20Target%20A4%20size%201-320x320.jpg
something like this

3 at 100mtr bench or prone, 2 standing with sticks at 70 mtr and 2 kneeling with sticks at 50m - All need to be in 4" for RDMP. However, the contractors skills test is slightly different.

DS

Shouldn't really mater that much , it's not hard to hit the target with a decent group at 100 yards in the kill zone? Surely you would no where your poi is at said distance ?

It will be the deer silhouette one, all black. Just place the bullets where you would on a live deer.

I would estimate that you're 6.5 would be around 2.5" high @100 if you're zeroed @200 with 120g - aim at the bottom of the 4" circle and you won't be far away

Just done a skills test last month.
3 shots at 4" target prone.
2 prone
2 shots from low seat.
2 from inside fc truck of wing mirror
2 shots from 70yards sitting
2 shots standing from 40yards all at deer siluet
2 shots from 6 yards at a target of a deer head.

John

Last edited:
Just done a skills test last month.
3 shots at 4" target prone.
2 prone
2 shots from low seat.
2 from inside fc truck of wing mirror
2 shots from 70yards sitting
2 shots standing from 40yards all at deer siluet
2 shots from 6 yards at a target of a deer head.

John

That sounds to me like a fair assessment of stalking skills, particularly like the 6m shot. You need to know your POIs for that.

Down the side of the barrel at 6 m ' no scope
Quite! Unfortunately I have had the experience of doing just that past last light in the undergrowth on my very first deer. Always wise to practice all eventualities at leisure rather than find yourself trying it in that sticky situation like I did.

Back