Big gun poll

Would you get a big bore if you could?

• Total voters

Greener Jim

Hypothetically, would you get a big bore if you didn't have to/could justify it (pigs, really aggressive targets)?

By big I mean over .375 and over 4000 ft-lbs. Basically elephant gun stuff, not really hot 45-70 loads in a No1.
I'm sure you understand the spirit of the poll. I'm curious if people would go bigger if our licensing system were less scared of big calibers.

Yeah I badly want one. I've got me 45-120 (poor man's nitro express) but I'd love a bolt action in .404 Jeffery to with a single shot in something bigger than 500 nitro.

No need for me, especially in the UK. I prefer my retinas attached.

Last edited:
Of course I bloody want to! You a member? What you got?

I would dearly love to........... however............. I have seen some of the kit (some of) those boys drag up to the range at WMS / Salisbury etc and it is full open wallet surgery territory (custom rifles circa £10-15k :eek:) - also I'm not sure if I could fit a cabinet the size required to keep those things in my house! :D

Seriously though, I believe you can start a bit smaller and then go full blown - also, if you like having conversations about load development, BC's and how the last batch was so hot they evaporated half way to the target then it's the place to be!

Ahhhhh different kind of big bore.
The big 50's for me are 500 nitro, 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs etc.

Unfortunately stuff like that is too rich for my blood.

I'd need a new cabinet also, so the other guns didn't get jealous!

I'd quite like a 375 H&H or a 416 rigby which just so happens I could get a barrel for the M03 quite easily if I was allowed

I am on my 8th .375 H&H and believe I have one that suits me to a T. That is all I have need for, at the moment, if that. And I have a .444 Marlin.

Friends have .45-70, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Win Mag and one dealer has things float through, like .470 NE, so I get to shoot all those. The .404 and .416 Rigby have been used to take Cape Buffalo. The owner of the .458 WM has taken it to Alaska and used it on big black bear and on moose. The recoil is pretty stout on some of these things, and if you are truly going to use them for dangerous game, you need to find one that fits you just right for the sights you are using and the clothes you are wearing. The .470 ammo is expensive, too!!

Back