Web based retailers

Doc H

With the every increasing number of businesses using the www. to sell their wares and services I have slowly begun to join the 21st century and look to make some purchases via the internet.

However I flatly refuse to consider dealing with a company that fails to include its legitimate trading address on its web site. Irrespective of how tempting the products or services offered but be.

Whilst only having an email address and land line number as a means of contact for you the customer might be ok as long as everything goes well, the good turn up as they should and, and continue to perform as required whilst under guarantee.

But we live in an imperfect world. Problems and difficulties do arise. With only a web address and as often happens only a mobile number as a means of contact what do you do if the wheel falls of the wagon and you have a problem that needs to be resolved by the retailer. Retailers are not always very accommodating in accepting responsibility for missing goods, faulty goods or poor service performance especially once they have had your money for a while.

At least with a confirmed physical trading address you have a means of direct recourse should the need arise.

I'm not saying that all businesses that fail to include a trading address on their web sites contact details or sales information are dodgy, but it certainly raises questions regarding their validity, trading history's, professionalism. and which dummy advised them on their marketing strategy.

It is those very questions that turn me from an interested potential customer to a disinterested one.

What has been your experiences, does the above bother you, or have you never considered the matter before. Discuss...

I Have to agree...but do you ever check a address or telephone number is valid before placing an order?? if not then just having them there means nothing!

The problem lies if some thing gose wrong weeks after the sale, recomendations always work for me and thats why the Forums are good .

I Have to agree...but do you ever check a address or telephone number is valid before placing an order?? if not then just having them there means nothing!

Yes I do check that the trading address is valid before placing an order. If the order is sufficiently large I also do a credit check on the company.

Perhaps I am just overly cautious. But I don't think so.

Doc H

I have been shopping on-line with Cabelas since '99 with no issues. However tried to book a B&B in Lochgilphead recently and the owner wouldn't pick up the phone to confirm the booking and take the credit card details, so I went elsewhere (Royal Hotel in Ardrishaig). Had one run in with an eBay trader who couldn't work out how to deliver a 4 port router. A real pain to sort out. eBay weren't interested as the guy had a large turnover. It's just like any kind of business, some you win, some you lose. The following guy has an interesting approach to non-payers.

http://www.eurooptic.com/customer/wos.asp

Rgds JCS

At least with a confirmed and valid trading address you have some where to serve the legal papers. Or send the collection agency otherwise known as "the management" to help resolve any disagreements, settle outstanding disputes, return faulty goods and collect repayments or replacements.

If the value of the claim is £5k or less the Small Claims court is an easy and accessible option and cost free to the sucessfull claimant.:D
But a might real pain in the proverbial butt for the business, its owner, partners, or directors. Especially if they fail to accede to the order of the court. Then the court can appoint their own bailiffs, and oh what fun and joy along with spiralling costs they bring to the party. :D

Well, I was considering buying an item from THIS site and there is no where that I can find a postal address or name in the shop pages !! So I dropped the idea.

The other thing to consider is, why so many etailers offering a cheap price? They don't hold stock. They are happy to skim 3 - 5% commission for placing your order with a wholesaler. Direct drop.

Nothing wrong with it in principle, so long as delivery commitments are made, all the big boys do it.

Stan

"Yes I do check that the trading address is valid before placing an order"

i am not trying to be funny, but how do you check? do you pop round and physically see with your own eyes that the place exists? or is it a web based search?

skipp??

A sound decision IMO

+1 on that. Though, in fairness, if you pay attention to the posts you can work out who owns this site, i.e. who they really are and where exactly they can be located.

But.... it really shouldn't take detective work to do that, should it?. So, no T shirt for me either.:D

The other thing to consider is, why so many etailers offering a cheap price? They don't hold stock. They are happy to skim 3 - 5% commission for placing your order with a wholesaler. Direct drop.

Nothing wrong with it in principle, so long as delivery commitments are made, all the big boys do it.

Stan

Stan

I have nothing agaist a person acting as a "sales agent" (they are not retailers in my book) for a wholesaler. However I have often found that with a little effort you can buy direct from the wholesaler/manufacturer, there by cutting out the middle man and his 3-5% creamed off the top. We did just that recently with an order for something we wanted. By dealing directly with the French manufacturer we saved over 21%. A saving not to be sniffed at in these difficult times.

The biggest problem with "sales agents" is getting them to accept responsibility for faulty or damaged goods that have been delivered direct. Due them being such a small cog in the machine they have no real decision making power. They always try as shift the responsibility for putting the problem right directly on the wholesaler/manufacturer. This is not how it should be. As legaly it is their responsibility. It is with them, not the manufacturer that you the custom have a purchasing contract with.

"Yes I do check that the trading address is valid before placing an order"

i am not trying to be funny, but how do you check? do you pop round and physically see with your own eyes that the place exists? or is it a web based search?

skipp??

Skip

Its can be a combination of an number of different checking methods. You can soon build up a very comprehensive picture.

On more than one occasion I have phoned neighbouring businesses and asked if they know of or know anything about the company trading from next door. :-| You would be surprised what you can sometimes find out.

There are numerous ways to skin cats! You only have to be willing to do a little leg work. After all its your money you're gambling with.

Only ever use your credit card, all good purchased on a credit card are covered by the credit card company.

But only for a maximum of 90 days!

What do you do if the cost is greater than your credit card limit?

Why should you have to rely upon your credit card company picking up the slack and eventually picking up the tab. The cost of which they build into their charges of course.

+1 on that. Though, in fairness, if you pay attention to the posts you can work out who owns this site, i.e. who they really are and where exactly they can be located.

But.... it really shouldn't take detective work to do that, should it?. So, no T shirt for me either.:D

ERRRR what is the point of all this may I ask :-| Many have met myself, JAYB and Alex, Many know who I am. Dont here any complaints from the many members that have bought goods from the shop site. If there are any problems just PM the Admin team.

We seem to have the same people stirring up the mud again and again. Funny how they use the same provider, web browser etc that one or two other Trolls have had in the past.

IF ANY OF YOU have any problems with purchasing anything off this site just get in contact with ADMIN!! SIMPLE.

There you all were last week talking about a collective sight to stalk over run by the SD site :doh: or a syndicate :doh:

Sikamalc. (Known to many, including all trolls :D)

ERRRR what is the point of all this may I ask :-| Many have met myself, JAYB and Alex, Many know who I am. Dont here any complaints from the many members that have bought goods from the shop site. If there are any problems just PM the Admin team.

We seem to have the same people stirring up the mud again and again. Funny how they use the same provider, web browser etc that one or two other Trolls have had in the past.

IF ANY OF YOU have any problems with purchasing anything off this site just get in contact with ADMIN!! SIMPLE.

There you all were last week talking about a collective sight to stalk over run by the SD site :doh: or a syndicate :doh:

Sikamalc. (Known to many, including all trolls :D)

I'm no troll and my computer is not used by any Troll. So please don't try insinuating otherwise.
you run an excellent site. I also note how attentive to my posts you are, which is gratifying. However, this thread discussed not only your site but the prickly problem of conducting financial dealings with any site where a physical address is not shown.

Some of us just won't buy unless we know where we can take our complaints, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

This thread is not just about web based retailers that advertise on this form Malc. There is a great big www. out there and it doesn't revolve around your site.

Irrespective of how much you would like it too.;) Nor does it have anything to do with your obsession with trolls.:D

But thanks for the worthwhile and pertinent contribution to the discussion. Make you feel proud to be British.:p

I'm no troll and my computer is not used by any Troll. So please don't try insinuating otherwise.
, you run an excellent site. I also note how attentive to my posts you are, which is gratifying. However, this thread discussed not only your site but the prickly problem of conducting financial dealings with any site where a physical address is not shown.

Some of us just won't buy unless we know where we can take our complaints, that's all.

Well said Tamus on all counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back