twist rate

w0rks2much

Hi Folks,

Some advice please?

It looks like my Remington 700 .308 will need re-barreling after all.

I've been looking on a few forums and i'm stuck between 1:10 and 1:12 twist rate.

I shoot 168gn Sierra hpbt match (2200) for my target work and 165 gn Nosler accubond for my hunting round, neither are driven hard.

I don't shoot heavier than 168gn so what would be the best twist rate?

I've been leaning towards keeping my existing 1:12 as it seems perfect for the 168gn bullet.

Advice please?

Thanks.

I have 1/13, 1/12 and 1/10 custom barrels on my 308's. They all shoot 168's equally well. The 1/13 even shot 175 match bullets well but I think that is pushing it. I'm just getting another 1/13 built because these barrels are going out of fashion with the f/tr guys and going cheap. Maybe the 1/12 is the best compromise for 155/168 bullets.
Maybe more important is to be careful not to choose a too heavy barrel if it is used for stalking. Most custom barrels are fairly meaty in the first 3-4" and add to the weight even if they are classed as "sporter".
edi

If it has been working for you why not try and get a replacement Remington barrel ,,,if available,,,, replace like for like,,,,unless you want to experiment
Ray

If 1:12 has been working you know it if stay the same. However I prefer to shoot over 150 grain so have used a 1:10 on my own 308 mostly shooting 165 sp and it shoots very well.

You could split the difference and go with a 1/11 twist.
My sako has a 1/11 twist and it shoots the 155 and 168 grain bullets very accurately

Back