New 2013 Home Office guidance on firearms law

It has been posted before Matt but in dribs and drabs as the various sections have been released. Perhaps admin should now replace the stickie at the top of the legal section with the new document link that you have posted above.

Am i correct in my understanding of the following that all 1 4 1 varriations are free of charge? as there is no mention of 7 days for a free 1 4 1
“One for one” variations
A
variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms,
even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling ('Wilson v Coombe',
Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that
are authorised to be acquired following the disposal of a firearm or a request to change
an existing authority to acquire.There is no set time in which the certificate holder must
apply for a replacement authority once their firearm is disposed of. The keeping of open
authorities indefinitely should be discouraged, subject to a collector seeking particular
firearms. Applications for “one for one” variations should be made by the certificate holder
submitting their firearm certificate together with a completed Form 101 to the police
firearms licensing department. Such variations are processed free of charge. In most cases,
it will not be necessary to re-examine the applicant’s circumstances. Further enquiries will
be necessary, however, if for example the application is for a change of use or for a full-
bore firearm when the holder’s shooting club only has facilities for small-bore shooting

'Frangible Bullets do not fall under Section 5(1A)(f) of the 1968 Act'

Just what is a Frangible Bullet then?

Yorkie.

Am i correct in my understanding of the following that all 1 4 1 varriations are free of charge? as there is no mention of 7 days for a free 1 4 1
“One for one” variations
A
variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms,
even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling ('Wilson v Coombe',
Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that
are authorised to be acquired following the disposal of a firearm or a request to change
an existing authority to acquire.There is no set time in which the certificate holder must
apply for a replacement authority once their firearm is disposed of. The keeping of open
authorities indefinitely should be discouraged, subject to a collector seeking particular
firearms. Applications for “one for one” variations should be made by the certificate holder
submitting their firearm certificate together with a completed Form 101 to the police
firearms licensing department. Such variations are processed free of charge. In most cases,
it will not be necessary to re-examine the applicant’s circumstances. Further enquiries will
be necessary, however, if for example the application is for a change of use or for a full-
bore firearm when the holder’s shooting club only has facilities for small-bore shooting

It would appear that the wording has been changed slightly from the previous edition of the guidance document where 7 days was mentioned.

'Frangible Bullets do not fall under Section 5(1A)(f) of the 1968 Act'

Just what is a Frangible Bullet then?

Yorkie.

A frangible bullet in this context is normally of a wax or sintered material and they are normally used for indoor short range training by the armed forces or the police where deep penetration is undesireable. Some of the .22 ammunition used at fairgrounds is also frangible.

A frangible bullet in this context is normally of a wax or sintered material and they are normally used for indoor short range training by the armed forces or the police where deep penetration is undesireable. Some of the .22 ammunition used at fairgrounds is also frangible.

Barnes Varmint Grenade? They are made of a powdered Metal Core.

I am just playing Devil's Advocate :D.

Yorkie.

Barnes Varmint Grenade? They are made of a powdered Metal Core.

I am just playing Devil's Advocate :D.

Yorkie.

Good point Yorkie, just goes to show that there is an exception to every rule. :D Obviously they overlooked these when writing the update.
That's the problem when you try to legislate for everything.

Good point Yorkie, just goes to show that there is an exception to every rule. :D Obviously they overlooked these when writing the update.
That's the problem when you try to legislate for everything.

Like so many things ultimately a Court would decide and i will definitely NOT be the one taking it there :D.

Yorkie.

“One for one” variations
A

this is what me FEO had to say
"Chief Constables are permitted to add their own "rules" so although Guidance (and it is only guidance - not law!) says no time limit, Chief Officers can impose their own rules - Kent therefore allows about three months between disposal and request for the one for one, it is (obviously) better and easier to request the replacement at the time of disposal.

Like you say Shaun it's guidance only but I believe that in the interests of consistency ACPO have urged all the forces to sing from the same song sheet wherever possible meaning the new guidance document.
I just looked up the actual wording in the previous guidance for comparison, just top see where they got the seven days from and this is what it said;

10.51 A variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms, even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v Coombe, Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that are authorised to be acquired at the same time as one is being disposed of. For practical purposes this is normally taken to be within seven days. The use of authorities which can be kept open indefinitely should be discouraged.

Three months seems reasonable and far more sensible than the previous shorter arrangement with many forces.

As you say it would be far better if all forces were made to operate to exactly the same standards rather than what a particular cheif of police feels should be adhered to.

I think that we (the SD community and other like-minded folk) might find it difficult to accept a one-size-fits-all approach from the various constabularies.

The Met imposing the same tests as Devon and Cornwall?

Manchester Moss Side and Stornoway?

It might work, but somehow I hae ma doots.

So, in theory a Glaser Safety Slug would, indeed, be a frangible bullet.

This, for those too young to know, was a pistol bullet that was a standard copper cup jacket (as in cup and core) filled with small lead shot such as #7.5 or #9 and then as it was swaged to a flat round nose end shape a plastic plug was incorporated over the top of the shot to keep it in place.

On impact the bullet didn't expand as such but just broke asunde - so frangible - r giving a wound like a contact shot gun wound with almost no risk of through penetration beyond the target (human torso) that was hit. There were some Glaser Safety Slug rounds in .308 and .30-06 also I believe as these were then the two "go two" US Police Department sharpshooter calibres in general use.

I am old enough to remember the safety slugs. Even saw them for sale in blister packs at the Anno Domini meetings at Bisley.
Barnes have a video of their Varmint Grenade Bullet disintegrating on impacting a Grape. That would seem pretty frangible to me.

Yorkie.

Looking at page 120 it's telling me .204 is not suitable for Fox but Hmr is - am I missing something gents :eek:

Looking at page 120 it's telling me .204 is not suitable for Fox but Hmr is - am I missing something gents :eek:

Looks like they should consider that again or at least reword it. I can see that leading to all sorts of debate or arguement the way it is currently written. :cuckoo:

I Emailed BASC about this earlier & my FLO both came back with the same answer .204 is fine for Fox ;)

As we .204 users already know :D

Back