CZ 527 Varmint .17 Hornet review...so far

liongeorge

Picked up my new rifle last weekend with 250 rounds. Fitted it with a Hardy Gen IV and a Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5 X56 on top.
Tried to zero it in the wind last weekend....just a waste of bullets. Got back to it on Thursday evening fairly still.
I didn't waste too much time and bullets on getting groups , needles to say that after the last clicks bullets were touching on a 10mm dot as target at 100yds.
Time to put it to work....over the rest of the evening a friend of mine and myself shot over 20 rabbits ranging in distance from 150 to 300 yds many of them little uns we had only two misses one was because of incorrect dialling and the other was trying to shoot through thin grass (forget it).
The set up is awesome , the scope dials perfectly, the optics are incredible for the money (Was able to use almost all the mag at last light, reticle very fine with small dot, very good field of view). Not quite Schmidt or Zeis but not far of (I am a PM2 owner) for a third of the price. The trigger is OK not fantastic, the set bit of it works well but I'm not a big fan, the normal trigger bit can only be lightened so much and the othe adjustment lets you remove the (gravelly )creep but go too far and the rifle is dangerous so I've left a bit of creep on. Will now look into trigger kit availability.
We did shoot a couple of close range ones on the way home totally obliterated them , litteraly smoking think I'll leave that for the HMR and 22.

Just getting reloading stuff together, am off to US in August so will get dies etc then unfortunately I am sure I will have spunked through my 250 well before then!

Will update as to progress, haven't tried it on a fox yet, I did not get it as a dedidcated fox rifle but mainly for long range rabbits but wanted something that would cope with fox if one turned up, seeing the accuracy and effects in rabbits I'd be happy to shoot one up to 200 with it. looking forward to seeing how it does with a bit more wind.

George

Last edited:
The trigger once run in a little then cleaned and adjusted is a great great trigger.
the trigger spring can be cut down a little if you want it super light, mine all break cleanly
with no creep at alb 12oz, no over travel either. The set part still works, but I don't use it by choice.
The set part can be adjusted out if that is your preference.

Neil. :)

Picked up my new rifle last weekend with 250 rounds. Fitted it with a Hardy Gen IV and a Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5 X56 on top.
Tried to zero it in the wind last weekend....just a waste of bullets. Got back to it on Thursday evening fairly still.
I didn't waste too much time and bullets on getting groups , needles to say that after the last clicks bullets were touching on a 10mm dot as target at 100yds.
Time to put it to work....over the rest of the evening a friend of mine and myself shot over 20 rabbits ranging in distance from 150 to 300 yds many of them little uns we had only two misses one was because of incorrect dialling and the other was trying to shoot through thin grass (forget it).
The set up is awesome , the scope dials perfectly, the optics are incredible for the money (Was able to use almost all the mag at last light, reticle very fine with small dot, very good field of view). Not quite Schmidt or Zeis but not far of (I am a PM2 owner) for a third of the price. The trigger is OK not fantastic, the set bit of it works well but I'm not a big fan, the normal trigger bit can only be lightened so much and the othe adjustment lets you remove the (gravelly )creep but go too far and the rifle is dangerous so I've left a bit of creep on. Will now look into trigger kit availability.
We did shoot a couple of close range ones on the way home totally obliterated them , litteraly smoking think I'll leave that for the HMR and 22.

Just getting reloading stuff together, am off to US in August so will get dies etc then unfortunately I am sure I will have spunked through my 250 well before then!

Will update as to progress, haven't tried it on a fox yet, I did not get it as a dedidcated fox rifle but mainly for long range rabbits but wanted something that would cope with fox if one turned up, seeing the accuracy and effects in rabbits I'd be happy to shoot one up to 200 with it. looking forward to seeing how it does with a bit more wind.

George
Rabbits at 150 to 300 yards at night, find that a bit hard to believe ! no doubt the 17 hornet is capable but my god i put a tennis ball approx 200 yards down a recently mowed grass track and could barely see it , how the heck do you see rabbits at 300 yards at night or even dusk especially little uns ?

Last edited:
Rabbits at 150 to 300 yards at night, find that a bit hard to believe ! no doubt the 17 hornet is capable but my god i put a tennis ball approx 200 yards down a recently mowed grass track and could barely see it , how the heck do you see rabbits at 300 yards at night or even dusk especially little uns ?

Doesn't it just say evening? Probably before dark???

I agree with Hornet: Don't mess with the trigger. Adjust the single stage down and it will sweeten up with use. The CZ set triggers aren't really practical. My Hornet's almost never get's used. I have a new 204 Ruger CZ that has a gritty trigger. IT will wear in if I ever get to shooting the thing.~Muir

I said nothing about night. The rabbits are out and about from about 5pm needless to say we were taking 200yd shots no prob at 8pm. Lieca RF bins decent scope no prob. Maybe you need to get your eyes tested.;)

Apoligies if i mis read evening as being dark but i still find it difficult to believe you can shoot rabbits at 300 yards especially little uns, perhaps i should get my eyes tested and you get a tape measure ?

Apoligies if i mis read evening as being dark but i still find it difficult to believe you can shoot rabbits at 300 yards especially little uns, perhaps i should get my eyes tested and you get a tape measure ?

or perhaps don't post if you have nothing constructive to say?

With a bit of practice, spotting by eye to 400y+ is easily feasible. A simple pair of bino's extends that to double.
To shoot rabbits at that distance requires accurate range-finding to dial your scope so no tape measure required.
Search YouTube for long range rabbits and have your eyes opened ;)

With a bit of practice, spotting by eye to 400y+ is easily feasible. A simple pair of bino's extends that to double.
To shoot rabbits at that distance requires accurate range-finding to dial your scope so no tape measure required.
Search YouTube for long range rabbits and have your eyes opened ;)

+1.

I was out last evening (and was shooting up until 2145) with the 6mm br, running 85 gr tops,

bunnies out to and just past 500 yards,

tools....

big farm with a good backstop.

6mmbr rifle,zeiss 4.5/14x50 scope with target turrets, oops nearly forgot the ammo.

bipod and rear bag (never used the rear bag.)

range finder.LRF800

bino's with a shooting/spotting buddie

and a high bonnet to shoot off.

results where fantastic to say that steve from this forum had never shot this far before, the ammo went down rather fast but who cares when all said and done it done what we wanted and we had a good hit rate,

ps: i have glasses and need them to shoot, then swap over to the reading ones to dial in,

i don't have a tape measure that will run to 600 yards ;) but i do have a bit of experience in long range shooting and i do practice.

regards

bob.

Out of interest, what distance would you expect to hit a rabbit sized target at with a hyper-accurate, flat shooting varmint type round?

Ian

or perhaps don't post if you have nothing constructive to say?
Whats not constructive then ? shooting small tennis ball sized objects at 300 yards in the field. You may be able to do it on a range but as i said difficult to believe i shoot enough of them to know what they look like at around a 100 yards let alone 300
!

+1.

I was out last evening (and was shooting up until 2145) with the 6mm br, running 85 gr tops,

bunnies out to and just past 500 yards, Sorry Bob but i just dont believe it and as you say out past 500 yards in your dreams !

tools....

big farm with a good backstop.

6mmbr rifle,zeiss 4.5/14x50 scope with target turrets, oops nearly forgot the ammo.

bipod and rear bag (never used the rear bag.)

range finder.LRF800

bino's with a shooting/spotting buddie

and a high bonnet to shoot off.

results where fantastic to say that steve from this forum had never shot this far before, the ammo went down rather fast but who cares when all said and done it done what we wanted and we had a good hit rate,

ps: i have glasses and need them to shoot, then swap over to the reading ones to dial in,

i don't have a tape measure that will run to 600 yards ;) but i do have a bit of experience in long range shooting and i do practice.

regards

bob.
Bob i dont believe you sorry mate ! rabbits out to and past 500 yards total fantasy

Whats hyper accurate ? the rifle bullet combo or the man pulling the trigger ?

Ok, forget that question. I'll be a bit more direct. You have already said that you would struggle to resolve a tennis ball at 200 yards. That, to me, seems to be a trivial exercise. I shot a fair few rabbits (probably not even half grown) on one of my permissions the other night at dusk at slightly over that distance.

So, my question is: As you are doubting forum members abilities, to make your point, what distance would you expect to shoot a rabbit sized target with confidence at using your equipment?

regards

Ian

I respectfully suggest a quick browse of youtube, its definitely possible, and further

Ok, forget that question. I'll be a bit more direct. You have already said that you would struggle to resolve a tennis ball at 200 yards. That, to me, seems to be a trivial exercise. I shot a fair few rabbits (probably not even half grown) on one of my permissions the other night at dusk at slightly over that distance.

So, my question is: As you are doubting forum members abilities, to make your point, what distance would you expect to shoot a rabbit sized target with confidence at using your equipment?

regards

Ian
Iam doubting forum members ability to shoot tennis ball sized objects and young rabbits at ranges of 300 to 500 yards in the field in the day at dusk and at night im sorry if that offends. Im using an hmr for rabbit shooting at the 10yards to around 120 at night but thats on arable farm land and part of the job. I dont doubt on a range in perfect conditions you can shoot accuratly at small objects.

Back