Remington Model 700 VSF - 308WIN

Chops

Anyone got one? Look really nice and was thinking about getting one - any info would be good.

Chops

I wanted one but was told by the gun shop that I would have to wait 8 weeks for one in that calibre. Actually it was the SPS 700 308, screw threaded. I didn't bother in the end.
I'm a member of Offa's Dyke Rifle Club and see many shooters using 700 Remmys of all descriptions out to ranges of 1000metres.
The basic design hasn't changed for over fifty years, so they can't be too bad.

Thinking about it 300WSM the 700 Remmys at my club are mostly customised and have Timney, CG-Universal or Jewell triggers.
As an off the shelf option I'm with you on the T3 Tikka although it has taken some (unfounded) stick from people who don't own them, on the T3 Tikka thread.

This months (July) Gun Mart magazine have done a good write up about the RWS Titan 3. Stainless steel barrel, synthetic stock. Seems like you get a lot of rifle for £612.

How many Remingtons have you had 300WSM?

I have now got through 8 and have dealt with the triggers on lots more for friends etc.

NONE have anything but the best factory trigger of all makes for the price range and all are so easily adjustable to near (field) perfection that I have never bothered with aftermarket alternatives.

I still have two 700's and both triggers are crisp and consistent at 2.5lbs with no after travel and no creep whatsoever.

A small amount of work will easily provide an equal if not better trigger than the Timney in EVERY 700.

Beowulf said:
Thinking about it 300WSM the 700 Remmys at my club are mostly customised and have Timney, CG-Universal or Jewell triggers.
As an off the shelf option I'm with you on the T3 Tikka although it has taken some (unfounded) stick from people who don't own them, on the T3 Tikka thread.

This months (July) Gun Mart magazine have done a good write up about the RWS Titan 3. Stainless steel barrel, synthetic stock. Seems like you get a lot of rifle for £612.

I recently priced a titan at my local rfd, with standard wood £530, I'm sure most would knock a couple of quid off.

325wsm, dittos.

I have owned Remington 700s for over 45 years, since I was a boy, from ADL to Sendero, M24, M40. I have had no problem adjusting the trigger to whatever I wanted for hunting or distance work. I own a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 and it has a very good trigger out of the box, but all of my adjusted factory M700 triggers are better. Mine are not the new trigger. Remington and Winchester did not need to change their triggers, but marketing managers are not too bright.

The T3 and the M700 VSF are totally different rifles. The T3 is a 6 pound joy to carry afield, 7 lbs with a normal scope. The 700 VSF is 8.5 lbs empty, with a 26 inch barrel, and 10 lbs scoped and loaded, minimum. They both will shoot way better than 1 MOA with good ammunition.

I have installed Timney triggers in rifles for friends who thought they needed one. I had a Canjar trigger on an M700 .308, but for the shoe and some other adjustments, not the way it pulled or broke.

Last edited:
Hey Southern you must be setting a new record mate. A lot of new members revive old threads but this one is nearly seven years old. :old: :lol:

I didn't revive this thread, but having owned and shot a few M700s, including this one, it caught my eye. To tell the truth, I like a good two stage trigger on some rifles.

And I think the marketing apes had a hand in this along with the lawyers, thinking they hsd to come out with something "new", since Savage has the Accutrigger.

Southern - "I didn't revive this thread".

Sorry to disagree but prior to your posting today the last post on this thread was made 10-7-2007. (The date is in the top left hand corner.) Now if that ain't reviving it mate I don't know what is. Like I said a new kind of record.:D

I didn't dredge it up and put it on the first page, where I found it at the top of the page. Just happy help it to its feet.

Back