How much time do you spend in a high seat?

There are several views on how long to spend in a high seat and how long until it become inefficient.

Some only use one for the first hour or so before sun rise and then continue to stalk on foot; others spend several hours in one until it is properly light and then call it a day.

Obviously it depends on a few variables e.g. time, location and the practicalities of stalking on foot, but what are your thoughts on this?

Got into one (in a wood where it's high seat only) at 0415 last Saturday. Waited until 0845 before getting the opportunity to take a roe buck, so that was 4.5 hours.

Most of my Stalks are in the evening, typically arrive two hour before sunset, stalk for say one and a half hours and pick a route to end near a high seat, than in the high seat until 1 hour after sunset, so high-seat time typically an hour and a half.

You'll find that if you have had lots of cups of tea before the stalk, an hour and a half is the max. - unless you can take it out, flop it around you and discreetly do the business while sitting down. Be aware, in that case, not to p**s into your roe sack under the seat. ;)

some depends what species you have about with muntjac at this time of year with plenty of cover it can be the best place to sit, i'll usually have an hour or two before dark then often sit up longer waiting for foxes

I have spent anything from 30 seconds to 10 hours in a highseat.

One of my highseats you have a great vantage point where you can see for miles, I sometimes use this as a means of seeing a good distance over my ground, spotting some animals and then planning the stalk. Hence why I may only be in the seat for 30 seconds or so.

On the other hand I have been placed in a highseat in Germany and told to wait until I get collected which has been as long at 10 hours, this is waiting under moonlight for wild boar.

Cheers

You'll find that if you have had lots of cups of tea before the stalk, an hour and a half is the max. - unless you can take it out, flop it around you and discreetly do the business while sitting down. Be aware, in that case, not to p**s into your roe sack under the seat. ;)

Lesson number 21 - empty bladder before ascending high seat ensuring longest time available without discomfort and without contaminating kit accidently:)

Longest I've been in a highseat is 1hr 30min then I move on to next location but normally have a shot on prior to that time.
It's knowing your ground and deer habits helps ensure short stays (usually)

Ed

All you need is a bit of hose connected to a funnel and attached to the side of the ladder exiting at the bottom did this for a m8 with bladder problems when sitting out for boar for hours.
Most of my Stalks are in the evening, typically arrive two hour before sunset, stalk for say one and a half hours and pick a route to end near a high seat, than in the high seat until 1 hour after sunset, so high-seat time typically an hour and a half.

Always worried that the pee odour might scare the deer off? Is this likely or not?
Mind you I once had to take a dump behind a tree near the high seat and ended up shooting a buck about an hour later!

Mind you I once had to take a dump behind a tree near the high seat and ended up shooting a buck about an hour later!

I have done this too! Caught short after a night of Cobra beer and Indian food, had to rush down the ladder and drop my kecks. :eek:

Shot 2 muntjac about 20mins later. Perhaps its an attractant! :D

Over the winter I spent up to 5 hours in the high seat. The temperature dropped from -3 to -10. It just got too cold!

About three years ago I sat in high seat for 2.5 hours and gradually realized I needed to have a c*** no problems as wind was from wood towards me so no worries about marking ground! Down high seat with rifle and getting on with business - out pops roe buck . slowly stand up lean against tree still with trousers etc round ankles and take shot. Finish and dress - clean hands with anti septic wipe ,gloves on and do gralloch. Interesting entry in game book! I find that I can do about three hours in high seat but depends on how cold it is.

Highseats are for efficient stalkers :stir:

Fixed that for you :D

I spent a lot of time in seats this winter because of culls etc. If I am out on my own I normally start in a seat upwind half an hour before first light and move off stalking on foot once the sun is fully up.

On cull days could be upto 20 stalkers on the estate unsafe walking around ! Stay in seats for upto 4+ hrs at a time . I don't mind seats as long as they fit me many don't .incorrect height rails and foot rests .
accounted for a nice munty buck last night from one of my own manufacture
​norma

Probably the opposite, for me it's how little I've sat in a high seat, (could count on one hand the times for brief periods) I'm not knocking it as it has its place, just not for me that's all.

Back