Best sub £100 knife

Kernow_Stalker

Hi all.

Wife has been asking what id like for xmas. Fancy a nice knife. I currently use a mora. Did quite fancy an eka swingblade but recently heard they dont hold their edge very well? Looking to spend up to 100 although cica 60 would be preferable.

Thanks in advance

KS

Hi KS

In my experience both the OutDoor Edge & EKA Swingblades hold a good edge, the OE version is Japanese Steel & the EKA is Swedish Sandvik steel - so both certainly good quality & will hold a good edge with a good quality sharpening system.

For under a £100 the Casstrom No 10 Forester Knife (fixed blade) takes some beating - custom feel & high quality leather sheath.

http://www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk/casstrom-no10-swedish-forest-knife-scandi-grind

Regards

Rob

Just had a Casstrom 10 bought for my birthday and pleased with it so far. Nice green micarta scales and shaving sharp.

These are about £80 and worth a look.

What species do you plan to use it on?

Any particular preferences - fixed/folding, wood/synthetic scales, grind, blade profile??

Plenty of nice Helle and Enzo knives at that price, although the Spyderco Bill Moran might be another (https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-bill-moran#product-tabs).

Alternatively spend the money on a good full tang blade and make up the knife yourself - it's a satisfying project that anyone with a few basic skills can enjoy.

Hi KS

In my experience both the OutDoor Edge & EKA Swingblades hold a good edge, the OE version is Japanese Steel & the EKA is Swedish Sandvik steel - so both certainly good quality & will hold a good edge with a good quality sharpening system.

For under a £100 the Casstrom No 10 Forester Knife (fixed blade) takes some beating - custom feel & high quality leather sheath.

http://www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk/casstrom-no10-swedish-forest-knife-scandi-grind

Regards

Rob

+1 for the EKA - I've had mine a few years now and it's still holding a good edge.

Siggy>

Well well well !
I have just had a long 'inter action' on facebook about knives and I have been assured by those that know better than me ! that any knife sub £100 is not worth buying as it will not hold it's edge, the point will snap and another replacement will be needed before long.
I know better but have given up trying to convince them and am glad to hear that I am not the only one of the opinion that price is not always a sign of quality.
I have several varying in price from 'Cheap-ish' to 'quite expensive' and all do the job but I do like the look of the Badger so I may end up adding to my collection !!

Well well well !
I have just had a long 'inter action' on facebook about knives and I have been assured by those that know better than me ! that any knife sub £100 is not worth buying as it will not hold it's edge, the point will snap and another replacement will be needed before long.
I know better but have given up trying to convince them and am glad to hear that I am not the only one of the opinion that price is not always a sign of quality.
I have several varying in price from 'Cheap-ish' to 'quite expensive' and all do the job but I do like the look of the Badger so I may end up adding to my collection !!

I have more knives than sense, with some custom examples that cost several multiples of that figure.

Beautiful as they are, for sheer practicality I still use a Mora.

It will hold its edge, the point has never snapped, and I've not needed to replace it yet!

Well well well !

What a load of absolute old cobblers some people talk! It really does make you worry about some people doesn't it? I'm sure that you're not alone in your opinion.

I've had £12 Moras one of which has been in use for a fair few years and still takes a sharp edge, the point hasn't snapped off (???) and yes, I've replaced it with two more over a 5 year period because I wanted a newer heavier bladed one for a different duty. That little lot has cost less than £40 over 5 years. I also have a fieldcrafter knife, made in 01 tool steel which cost a lot of money but has just sat in the cupboard because its not as handy as the Moras nor will it keep its edge as long (very badly tempered steel....may be a one-off but I'm a bit p*ss** off because the maker has never had the decency to refund me). It put me right off parting with hard-earned for any Gucci knife. The only more expensive ones I'm tempted to are some of the Swedish ones, such as Casstrom or a Norwegian blade such as those made be Helle. They're just very functional, well designed knives made with decent steel. The other consideration is whether it can be chucked in the dishwasher. If not, I usually wont use them in the field. That means that generally, I avoid wooden handled knives hence Mora seem to fit the bill for most field work.

Not going to knock Mora as I have a few myself and do rate them well but I have broke one of the handles when "batoning" a deer rib cage a few years ago. There was a post on one forum where somebody had put a few knives through the xray machine at work. The one I had was quite short in the tang hence it cracking the plastic handle.

The Casstrom is in a different league but then so is the price. Happy with it so far and the blade is chunky but not over the top, sits well in the hand and doesn't feel cumbersome.

If going the Mora route go for one of these as the tang still isn't full but it is a lot longer than the normal Mora ones;

https://www.springfields.co.uk/mora-outdoor-2000-stainless-knife.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CILY4u3YltACFQEL0wodCOIBhA

Hi all

Thanks for the input so far. I really like the look of the swingblade style knives and like the gut hook bit aswell. Itll be used predominantly on roe and red. The eka seems good but the blade seems short.

Sharpening wise ive only ever used the suction pad on work surface and drag knife through the 2 angled edges. Should i be using a stone instead? Ability to retain an edge is the biggest priority to me. Bright colour handle woukd also be nice.
What difference to edge retention does the grinding method make?

Cheers

KS

I got one of these and so far have been very happy with it - Seems to be well made and is very versatile as it has the knife, gut hook and saw all in one. Plus it has the orange on the handle so you can see it in low light.

I have also heard good things about the EKA blades, you might also check those out.

Back