Winter stalking trousers

timbrayford

Can anyone recommend a pair of Winter stalking trousers that are comfortable, water and windproof, thorn resistant, non shiny and rustle free? atb Tim

Can anyone recommend a pair of Winter stalking trousers that are comfortable, water and windproof, thorn resistant, non shiny and rustle free? atb Tim[

Tim - Sounds like a holy grail search, I have looked and TBH I am hoping to pick a pair of Supermoles from Cudworth at Lowther if they are there, as for years with the terriers they performed well, however not w proof, but keep you warm while wet

Harkila extreme trousers. Machine washable leather fronted excellent kit. I think I have found the best trouser I have ever owned and will only use these from now on. Expensive but worth it.

Harkila extreme trousers. Machine washable leather fronted excellent kit. I think I have found the best trouser I have ever owned and will only use these from now on. Expensive but worth it.
Yes, it would be a great leap of faith to buy these, but I might well get a pair. If there is one thing that puts me off the Harkila stuff it is that I have found their Seeland co-products disappointing, particularly with failed stitching and waterproof fabric that isn't. atb Tim

For Winter trousers I use Country Covers "Falkland" & Stealth Gear Extremes. Had them both for about 2 years now.

Both keep me warm and dry when it counts & never dissapoint

The Stealth gears are probably warmer than the Country Covers but have vents on the upper thigh to let some air in/out as required.

I run hot so seldom need an underlayer unless out foxing in the minuses.

Its a minefield but you'll no go wrong with stealth gear or country covers

Rb

I have no personal experience but the Rivers West clothes featured in the current BASC magazine look interesting. Both they and Nomad will be at the Game Fair, I was going to compare them there.

I have no personal experience but the Rivers West clothes featured in the current BASC magazine look interesting.

The material is good, but the seams on the trousers are terrible. I would stay well clear of their trousers. Smocks and Jackets are fantastic though!

last winter i used river west trousers and they performed well being waterproof and quiet although a little warm

For Winter trousers I use Country Covers "Falkland" & Stealth Gear Extremes. Had them both for about 2 years now.

Both keep me warm and dry when it counts & never dissapoint

The Stealth gears are probably warmer than the Country Covers but have vents on the upper thigh to let some air in/out as required.

I run hot so seldom need an underlayer unless out foxing in the minuses.

Its a minefield but you'll no go wrong with stealth gear or country covers

Rb

I like the look of the stealth gear but trying to find a local supplier where I can try them on has proved difficult and still haven't found anyone. Some on e bay though.

If there is one thing that puts me off the Harkila stuff it is that I have found their Seeland co-products disappointing, particularly with failed stitching and waterproof fabric that isn't. atb Tim

Do not compare the two. I have both. Seeland are pants. Not waterproof, poor stitching, sweaty when it's warm. I have the Prohunter suit and the trousers are not even in a different league to the Seelands, it's a different sport.
Proof yet again that, "you get what you pay for."

Do not compare the two. I have both. Seeland are pants. Not waterproof, poor stitching, sweaty when it's warm. I have the Prohunter suit and the trousers are not even in a different league to the Seelands, it's a different sport.
Thanks for the comparison. atb Tim

+1 The only down side i find to the pro hunter is they get heavy when wet !

i have to agree about the seeland v harkila thing, i bought some seeland trousers which split within half an hour of me putting them on yet my prohunters have been brilliant, never been wet or cold while wearing them

I have been using the same pair of Sasta EXP extreme performance trousers for 5 years. Washable, extremely hard wearing, high backed and warm. Not cheap but well worth the money.:D

Back