Hello from Aberdeenshire

Feugh

Morning all,
I thought that it was about time I introduced myself. I'm pretty new to stalking, which is why I've lurked on this site for a while now without posting. I've accompanied a friend on quite a few stalks (with him as the man behind the rifle and me as the interested observer, picking up knowledge) but haven't shot any deer so far. I just sat my DSC1 at the weekend up at the Stalking School in Aberlour (an enjoyable weekend, which was a successful one too. I learnt a fair amount for the qualification and I'm happy that I did it), so it's time for me to pick up some more experience, apply for an FAC and eventually try to get some land of my own to stalk over.
Why have I started stalking now? I've shot rabbits for a local farmer for years now and I thought it was about time that I moved up to larger game, something that I've wanted to do for a while. The push came this year, mostly because the salmon fishing on the rivers that I fish in Aberdeenshire was so poor. If salmon numbers continue to decline then I'm as well learning how to do something else.
There may be some newbie questions coming soon, which I hope you don't mind.

All the best,
Feugh.

What does "Feugh", I presume pronounced "fyooch", mean? Oh, aye, welcome too.

Thanks for the welcome, all of you. Feugh (pronounced the way it is described above) is a tributary of the River Dee that joins the main river at Banchory. It's most famous for the Falls of Feugh, where people stand on a bridge in the summer and autumn to watch salmon and sea trout leaping their way upstream. It's where I caught my first salmon on a fly a few years ago and where I still love to go fishing. On it's day the fishing there can be wonderful, but the rest of the time it's still a pleasant and peaceful place to be.

Back